Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sentra vs scion tc

Chiquae07
09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
well, i was out and about with a couple of my buddies, and we ended up going to the local spot. chilled for a bit, and i looked around the area for the berries and cherries, and saw a couple tow trucks. called a couple people up to leave, and they did.

now, when everyone was leaving, i ran into a scion tc. this was like a 07-08 when they changed the taillights to the black accented ones.

we were playing back and forth from a 35 roll and i would beat him everytime to 60, but then he pulls away. we finally got to a light and i asked him if it was stock. he says bone stock. after chattin while the light was red, we agree to race to 70mph, as cops are in this area quite a bit.

i brake gas the nissan at 2500, and he is holding his revs. the light turns green, i launch like a bat outta hell infront as he just burns up his tires in 1st. when i hit 40, i was in front by 1 1/2 cars. at 45 the trans shifted to 2nd, and he stopped my pull, and we were even from about 55-65, but then he got the higher revs in 2nd and pulled ahead. we stopped around 75, and he was ahead by 2 cars.

we gave each other a thumbs up, and parted our ways. i would have to say not too shabby for the sentra that runs a high 16.

and im becoming anxious to buy a faster car as everyone is getting faster and faster here, as im stuck paying for college lol. i guess its a trade off.

L8 APEKS
09-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm one of the weird guys that doesn't mind auto cars. ;)

I'm guessing cams would wake up your top end quite a bit.

JY turbo kit could be done w/ intercooler for under $1g.

And there's always a sneaky pete 50-shot.

:)

UnderEstimate Me
09-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a good race.

Ive never owned a car with an automatic transmission, and I dont think I will be able to for a long time.

MZR_47
09-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Whenever I drive an auto, I end up trying to shift into neutral and try to find the clutch pedal. It bothers me a bit. But making the sentra into a turbo'd beast would be very fun I would think, keep a bit of a sleeper aspect with it.

Chiquae07
09-27-2008, 01:27 AM
^^^it was a work in progress at one point, but then i realized that it wouldnt be worth it and sold all the parts to a buddy. i think i realistically spent maybe 3k on a t28 set up to run 250whp, but then again, the trans blows at 200, and i cant do that to the daily.

welps, all that money paid for the semester instead of taking out another student loan so i cant complain, although the new turbo cobalt is looking pretty good right now at 21k employee pricing....

MZR_47
09-27-2008, 03:11 PM
DO IT :D TCs are pretty damn quick, and with bolt ons they are mid 13 second cars.

-The Stig-
09-27-2008, 03:15 PM
DO IT :D TCs are pretty damn quick, and with bolt ons they are mid 13 second cars.

I never thought a Saturn V rocket as a bolt on... but ok.

L8 APEKS
09-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I never thought a Saturn V rocket as a bolt on... but ok.

I LoL'd!

MZR_47
09-27-2008, 10:31 PM
haha... No, but really, they are stupid fast for what they are. Nothing compared to the G8 of course :) But I would call them respectable.

A Saturn V rocket CAN be a bolt on, if you know what you are doing.

-The Stig-
09-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I've never heard of a 13 second Scion TC with bolt-ons.

Does that include using a TRD Supercharger? Does adding F/I count as a bolt-on? There's a little more to it than just adding an exhaust system or cold air intake (your run of the mill bolt-ons).

L8 APEKS
09-28-2008, 01:05 AM
Last road test I read, the TRD supercharged TC's were running mid 14's.

TorchedStealth
09-28-2008, 10:57 AM
The TC MZR is refering to is the new Cobalt SS/TC...not the scion TC. He probably should have looked at the title before saying TC haha

-The Stig-
09-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Ah... well... that makes MUCH more sense.

MZR_47
09-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah my bad... he mentioned turbo cobalt so I assumed they knew I meant Turbo :) sorry. I be more clear next time!

But now do I make sense?

rice(er)
10-02-2008, 09:49 AM
i like the whole aspect of a turbocharged cobalt, there's two things that bothered me

1. The exterior styling is fugly. I prefer the SS Supercharged styling over this new turbo version
2. No rear or AWD option?

/end offtopic

[Ontopic] chiquea, are you still in wis? I thought you were moving to Florida for college? Nice race homeboi, was the TC auto or manual? I raced an auto TC when i still had my 16 sec corolla and I beat it pretty bad. Git r to a track and post up some times! One more thing, time to upgrade to a faster car! You wont be disappointed, trust me, I have experience :D

VR43000GT
10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
^^Wow, I am actually in agreement with you on this one rice(er). I owned FWD cars before this and finally said I was done with that. While some FWD cars have done alright performance-wise, FWD just isn't a performance setup. They started making FWD cars to make them cheaper, and easier to drive in the snow. That was a tough choice though as I did want a SRT-4, but in the end, gave it up. And that is something I think American brands need to at least try and do. Build a sub $30k dollar car that has awd, has F/I, and is built with some quality. But I will say if I had to drive a car all year long, I would probably go with FWD just because of winter...even though I would not like it the other 3 seasons lol.

L8 APEKS
10-02-2008, 12:12 PM
i like the whole aspect of a turbocharged cobalt, there's two things that bothered me

2. No rear or AWD option?

Never gonna happen.

It's based on design from 1982. And the current platform (GM Delta) is shared with too many other cars (Chevy HHR, Pontiac G5, Astra, Opel) so they wouldn't go back to the drawing board to make the Cobalt it's own RWD platform.

It is kind of strange that so many automakers came out with such high-powered FWD cars to keep up with the "Fast and Furious" crowd (SRT-4, Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt SS, etc).

But even though we all complain about FWD...that's really how the import tuning craze started anyway. Most kids were rocking CRX/Civics, 1st gen Integras, or something similar...and before long they found ways to eclipse 200hp in those FWD's.

So I guess it's just a sign of the car industry being about 10 years behind. So sometime around 2018, we'll get a sick RWD or AWD replacement for the Cobalt SS...and by then we won't care, because we'll want something else. :lol:

UnderEstimate Me
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I like having fwd after having owned 3 turbo awd dsm's before.

Better gas mileage, better pulls from a roll(I never really launched my car), and easy to work on. I needed this car to be my dd so it works for me.

MZR_47
10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
That is my problem, living in ND. Winter sucks. I needed AWD or FWD to survive up here, and this was the fastest and easiest to mod FWD car I could find under 15k. So it works great for me, but if I go to AZ for college I will be picking up an 04 STi or Evo.

VR43000GT
10-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Meh, I have yet to launch my car hard at all. However, even when going 10mph with 315lb/ft tq. and 320hp you would still spin quite easily which still makes it very nice for getting off the line. The hardest I have ever taken off in it was when I raced a stage WRX 2.5L in which case I just feather the clutch a little and then punched it, which still gave it considerable take-off.

Polygon
10-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Sweet race man. Once you get out and get a good job you'll be able to get something that will wax a tC. :biggrin:

silentscreams85
10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
hey now, whats with all the tC bashing ? o_O ?

haha jk. nice death

Chiquae07
10-05-2008, 10:52 PM
[Ontopic] chiquea, are you still in wis? I thought you were moving to Florida for college?

I'm still in the dairy state. long story short, government says parents make too much money for fed aid, so i get like a total of $200 a semester. so 15k outta my pocket a semester for school down there living off campus off my aunts place isn't really an option right now. well, at this rate the economy is going, i don't think id ever be able to pay it off. maybe relocate for my masters, but I'm not putting anything into stone.

Nice race homeboi, was the TC auto or manual? I raced an auto TC when i still had my 16 sec corolla and I beat it pretty bad. Git r to a track and post up some times!

um, the Tc was manual. and yes im talking about the scion Tc :). i took the auto slush-box to the track and managed with 2 broken motor mounts a whopping 17.5 @ 80mph. i beat people off the line, but come 40mph, and its like reverse flux capacitor. maybe that will change when i get 2 new motor mounts and fill those suckers up with 3m window weld urethane.

One more thing, time to upgrade to a faster car! You wont be disappointed, trust me, I have experience :D

as much as i want to, every time i get around to it, something happens. its like I'm destined to keep this damned car that has like no aftermarket.

Sweet race man. Once you get out and get a good job you'll be able to get something that will wax a tC. :biggrin:

yea, and i know its not too hard. well the hard part is actually going to those classes that are a waste of time. besides, tc's arent fast. i cant believe im saying that after losing to one :dogpile:

Add your comment to this topic!