Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Seafoam question

Vilaman
09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
When you add Seafoam to the oil, do you put it in after you change the oil and then drive around with it in there until the next oil change, or do you put it in a couple of hundred miles before you change your oil? I've seen posts that say both and I'm going to change my oil this weekend so I thought I would ask to make sure.

jdmccright
09-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I use it too. I'd do it before the oil change. That way, you can clean out the gunk and then drain it away to prevent it from redepositing. Just make sure your oil level isn't low or you might dilute the mixture too much. Bring it up to normal level first (between the ADD and FULL marks) then add the Seafoam.

I'll also suggest that you add the Seafoam to the oil through the dipstick tube. When I tried adding it through the oil fill while the engine was running, it spattered EVERYWHERE. Try to find a narrow funnel to fit the small tube or cut & roll up an aluminum beverage can (cleaned of course). Good luck!

Greenblurr93
09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
ive heard if you leave seafoam in the oil too long it can actually eat away the oil filter... never experienced this myself, but it was enough to make me change my oil after i use it...

Add your comment to this topic!