Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel pump fuse question

dunn782
09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I am having problems with the fuel pump fuse blowing on an 89 probe w/o turbo. The 15 amp fuse was blowing, replaced with a 20 and that worked for a couple weeks but now it is having problems too. Two questions: 1. can the fuel pump (going bad) pull enough amperage to blow the fuse? 2. if I unplug the pump and try to start the car, if the fuse does not blow would that indicate the wires are not shorting out somewhere? I'm trying to figure out if it is the pump or the wiring without having to tear all the wiring apart.

rhandwor
09-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Unplug both ends and use an ohm meter and ohm the wire. Then put one end on the wire and the other end on the frame. If you have a bleed it should bleed to ground. Then follow the harness and look for a worn spot along the harness. You can hook up a new wire with a 15 amp inline fuse. If it blows you know its the pump. If the pump is good you can buy the small loom for a single wire and run a new wire from the existing fuse to the pump. Just use wire ties and run along the existing harness. Just do what you feel comfortable with. Coat any wiring connections with silicon to keep out moisture. Walmart sells new style with a tapered pin and threaded lockdowns already made with silicon these are very nice and very hard to pull apart.
I use them for any computer harness repair but I buy the same style without silicon and use my own.

Add your comment to this topic!