Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dechroming parts

luchjeg6
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Which product have i to use to dechrome parts an where can i find it in italy?

And i was wondering: after masking isn't better to spray paint a clear layer before spraying te alclad chrome one so that the colour won't go under the tape (useful also for black rimming not also for chrome one)?

gionc
09-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Chlorine. But often you'll find a clear coat under factory's chrome: removable with isopropryl or DOT.

Question2 (has something to do with the topic?) BTW yes

brady_381need72c10
09-27-2008, 12:28 PM
i would use a product called Wesleys bleach white! (its suppose to keep the white wall tires on those antiques "white"!)
bleach on the other hand has an funny affect on plastic... it makes it brittle over time!!!

kaho
09-27-2008, 01:11 PM
After the chrome gets removed using chlorine, I usually just spray away without treating the clear underneath at all. The paint seems to still hold up well. I tried getting rid of the clearcoat using DOT before but the clear ended up only getting partially removed. The result was an entire tree of parts being covered by mushy, brown, mucous-resembling remains of the clearcoat(I believe the brown was from the DOT being previously used to strip paint, which again, was only partially removed.)

About the chlorine making plastic brittle, I also didn't believe it until recently. I had a cleaned empty tamiya paint bottle filled with chlorine to be used for my wheel chrome strip bottle, which had been holding the chlorine for over a year now. I picked up the bottle and found out that it's cap has been eaten through right where the rim of the glass container is underneath. The top of the cap came off along with brittle slivers that was once the cap.

I don't think immersing the plastics with chlorine for a day or two will affect it much though.

gasdriverca
09-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I normally use Mr.Muscle oven cleaner but I think any old oven cleaner will do! I insert my parts that require dechroming into a ziplock sandwich bag and spray the oven cleaner in there wait 15 mins. or so then scrub the parts with an old toothbrush.If there is stubbern pieces I spray again and that usually does the trick for me.

Add your comment to this topic!