Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brakes

Liberato
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I changed the brakes myself. Ive only done it a couple of times, learning by watching friends. I put on new rotors and pads all around. Didnt mess with brake lines, so didnt bleed them. But now when I go to stop, once in a while, right at the end of the stop the brakes either feel like theyre not grabbing anything or they grab and jerk me forward a bit. Any suggestions?

ghutchin
09-23-2008, 04:16 PM
I doubt this is your issue, but its important to grease you caliper slides whenever you do brake work. This keeps the calipers moving smoothly and prevents uneven wear.

Liberato
09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Being you mentioned that about the calipers, I noticed that whenever it doesnt do it bad, there is a kind of grinding or clunking sound coming from the front, you can almost feel it on you feet too. And then when it does it, the sound isn't bad. Should I replace the calipers?

ghutchin
09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I don't think you need new calipers. I would get the wheels off and check though to make sure everything is tight. While you are in there you might also want to grease the caliper slides. The slides are the bolts that the caliper slides on.

Hungrycat7
09-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Make sure the pads are tight in there too! I've seen people starting out not wanting to push the pads in tight enough. They should seat in there snuggly!

Add your comment to this topic!