Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Maxima rear brake rotor removal

snowking67
09-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I started to do the back brakes on my 2002 Maxima and I couldn't get the back rotor off. Then I tried to move the cylinder (piston) back and that didn't want to go back with a c-clamp. I had the cap off above the master cylinder and it still wouldn't go. Does anyone know if their is a trick to getting the rotor off or to push the cylinder back? The brakes are squeeking and I would really like to fix them. Your help is really appreciated. Thanks!!

raulb88
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I started to do the back brakes on my 2002 Maxima and I couldn't get the back rotor off. Then I tried to move the cylinder (piston) back and that didn't want to go back with a c-clamp. I had the cap off above the master cylinder and it still wouldn't go. Does anyone know if their is a trick to getting the rotor off or to push the cylinder back? The brakes are squeeking and I would really like to fix them. Your help is really appreciated. Thanks!!

the cylinder has to be turned back into position. You can buy a square looking tool that attaches to your rachet to turn them back. \
Hope this helps.

rather_b_boatin
10-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Yup, you may have to use a rubber hammer (deadblow) to ease the caliper tward the back of the car, then you need to remove the bracket that holds the caliper to the backing plate. (bigger bolts) then sometimes you need to use a hammer (swinging from middle of car outward) to free them.

snowking67
10-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering if there was a special tool needed to push the cylinder back. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon. Where would I find this tool? Would Autozone have it? As for getting the disc off, I tried hitting it with a hammer numerous times and it didn't budge. Would you have any other suggestions? Thanks again for your any help!:confused:

Nahkapohjola
10-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering if there was a special tool needed ...

...special tools is bs. Just find a way to rotate the piston while pressing it in, pliers etc.

Why the piston has to be rotated in? Theres a adjusting screw behind the piston - just for the hb. Autozone nuts call it a nut, adjusting nut.

See it in the exploded pic, bottom (piston) row of bits ...

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/66/3f//large/0900c1528007663f.gif

Alphabravo
11-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I got a loaner brake kit from Advanced Auto for free. Made it a piece of cake.

Add your comment to this topic!