Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pls help: complete loss of acceleration, now won't start

jacquez
09-21-2008, 07:49 PM
So my mom went into the hospital and my car broke in the same day. Not a good day, but I'm not saying this because I'm looking for sympathy. I don't want to make anyone sad for me, but ... Despite the fact that I usually do these things when researching anything, I haven't researched this topic prior to this post and I'm worried that something might be quite nonsensical in here. I apologize in advance, but I'm just sooooo tired right now.

Please Help.

I was driving, getting a burger while my mom was getting a test done, then decided I really needed to get gas. I couldn't tell how low I was because the needle position varies significantly depending on the slope direction and I was driving on a series of hilly road, but I was really low.

So, I pulled into a gas station that I never go to because I'm just never in that area. I got gas, about a half a tank (don't know if that matters) and drive away. Keep in mind my car was driving absolutely perfect up until this point. I get about three blocks away (.5-1 mile maybe - I'm bad with guessing distances) and the accelerator (which my foot is on of course) falls to the floor. I pumped it and it went back to the floor. Luckily I had a parking area to pull into, but by this time I have no 'gas' or power anything - the brakes and steering wheel feel stiff. I turn off the car and it won't turn back on. It's been pushed to the side of the lot with the hope that it won't get towed before I decide what to do with it. It does try to turn on. Makes a noise like it's not getting gas???

So ... any ideas what's going on? Is it something an amatuer could fix without special tools? I mostly changed my tie rod ends on a ford tempo I had once. Had some help from someone stronger than me. I can figure out mechanic things, but strength and tools might be an issue. Or would it be best to find a mechanic and hope I don't get ripped off? But really anything to shed light on this problem will be helpful - personal advice, links, whatever else you know of. I'd usually dig deeper than the first forum I find on google, but ... you know.

But at least I have my mom's car to drive in the mean time.

Thanks.

maxwedge
09-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome to AF. The pedal fell to the floor, what does this mean? the engine runs but does not respond to pressing the pedal? Makes a noise like it is not getting gas, again what does this mean, also what year car is this? We need way more specific info to advise you with this. If the engine turns over but will not start you must check for spark at the plugs first, then try spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake if it starts you have bad fuel pressure, or no injector pulse.

jacquez
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome ... Sorry about my non-specific descriptions. Some things I wasn't sure how to describe (the pedal's loss of tension) because I was tired or I used other people's words (the noise description). It's almost like the line I heard once - "How do you describe the color red to a blind person?" I had no idea how to describe the sound.

Nevertheless, the car has been diagnosed by a mechanic who could hear the sound himself ...

I am curious about the status of this thread though. In other forums I've marked threads 'solved' myself or put 'close' in the in the title for a moderator to close the thread. I haven't found any info on this in the faq. Do I need to do something to change the thread's status?

maxwedge
09-25-2008, 07:19 PM
No, we will handle it fom here when there are no additional posts. BTW, the most important info, again omitted, what was wrong?

jacquez
09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
The ignition control module needs to be replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!