Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about car payoff

jaymeecl02
09-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi,
I am trying to trade my Pontiac Torrent for a more fuel efficient car. The problem is that (according to my payment booklet) I owe 13,000 on the car. I went to trade it in a few weeks ago, and I was told that my payoff is 15,690:banghead: . I don't see how this is right b/c this is not my first time trading in a vehicle like this and in the past, the payoff has been less than what's been on the payment booklet b/c I wouldn't be paying the interest for the 3 years that I owe on the car. So I'm just trying to find out if this local dealer that called the bank for me misinformed me. I will be calling the bank with myself, but I was just interested in seeing if someone knows a little more about this. So, my actual question is basically should the payoff be more than the remaining balance on my payment book?

Thanks,
Jamie

Ray paulsen
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
The dealer never called your Bank, only you can get that information, they ran a lien check that shows $ 15,690 - Simply phone your Bank and ask for a payout amount which will be less than what lien shows as you will not be paying Interest for the full term.

PS... I am surprised the salesperson never brough this fact to your attention, but hey that's why 10% of the pro - salespeople make as much as the other 90% combined.

Add your comment to this topic!