Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Contour,automatic trans troubles.

danford1
09-21-2008, 08:24 AM
My brother has a 96 Contour, 2.0L Zetec. His automatic is acting up.
It only has reverse and 1st & 2nd gear, no 3rd or 4th.
He says he has to let up on the gas to get it to shift into 2nd.
Is this a common problem with these trannies?
Is it possible this is caused by a bad electrical connection somewhere? I know some trannies are computer controlled, I just don't know anything about his.

When the trans did this, he was in 4th and heard a clunk and the overdrive light was flashing. Soon after that he only has first and second.

He lives in Michigan in Clinton Township.
Does anyone here work on transmissions? Or can swap in a good one?
This is of course his only car, and has about 45 minutes to an hour drive to get to work. No one I know has a spare car he can use. Nor do we have money to run out and buy another car. He really likes his Tour and would like to have it fixed. I think he only has 120,000 miles (just a guess).

Is there something easy we can look for? Oh, yes the fluid is full and still red, not burnt.

Danford1

danford1
09-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Forgot to metion. Here is my cell number in case someone can help us out.
Dan (248) 895 - 1444

Thanks

rhandwor
09-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Look through the forums an article on windstar and F-250 vehicles. They had a bad wire on the shifter. Check and see if this pertains to your vehicle.

danford1
09-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I looked and looked through those forums. I tried search but just can't find the post you are referring to.
Can you give me more info or a link to the correct posts?
Danford1

rhandwor
09-22-2008, 08:50 PM
When you click on Ford drop down to superduty. Click on this the first one.

danford1
09-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks. I found it and read all about it.
The Contour has a floor shifter. It won't hurt to pull it apart and look for loose, corroded or broken wires/connections.
His car doesn't go into 3 rd gear though. It only has 1st and 2nd.

I'm hoping a Contour guy with knowledge on automatics will help here and tell us what we can look for.

Taking the car to a trans shop is out of the question. There just isn't money for a new trans...

Danford1

rhandwor
09-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Ford sells solenoid packs for a reasonably price. I have replaced one on a E40D transmission Ford pickup. You can try this if this doesn't work out.
Not bad on a RWD but look at a manual for a FWD,before buying.

danford1
09-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Is there a web site with on-line manuals I can go to?
Thanks.
Danford1

rhandwor
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
http://www.alldata.com/ They sell a years subscription for appx.$25.00 ask by email if it covers transmission. I think it does.

Add your comment to this topic!