Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 Jeep cherokee 6cyl man. tran. clutch wont engage!

bdeckerfr
09-21-2008, 01:49 AM
ok heres my problem, i was driving to my gf's house and i pushed in the clutch and there was a pop... i sorta felt it in the clutch peddle.. now the clutch wont work, the peddle isnt as springy as it was... its not springy at all... once pushed in the only way to get it out is to pull it out... and when i do push it in, the clutch isnt working..

any ideas?

72mino
10-09-2008, 05:04 AM
Check the clutch master cylinder. The pushrod may have broken. Otherwise it could be your clutch release lever. My jeep is and automatic, so I can't be much help. I had a 91 Eagle Talon that the clutch release fork broke on and that is exactly what it did, except I didn't feel anything in the pedal, it just wouldn't come back up on its own.

Dustin

fredjacksonsan
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Couple of different takes on this. I don't recall if on the 88 it's a cable or linkage activated clutch. It could be the cable broke, or if it's linkage, that the clutch actuation linkage broke somewhere, as 72mino said -- or you need a new clutch.

Start with a visual inspection of the linkage. Have someone move the clutch pedal back and forth while you're under the Jeep, and see what is moving and where the motion stops. If it's moving all the way to the clutch itself, I'd think that you need a new clutch.

Add your comment to this topic!