Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermitent Code 42-91 3.1 Euro

djrasmussen
09-20-2008, 06:49 PM
First let me explain my driveability problems...usually when the car was warmed up and travelling on the freeway it would start to sputter and jerk and die...I would keep pumping the gas and it would start again. This problem is intermittent. I noticed when I put injector cleaner in, it would happen less often. I have had a friend replace the plugs, wires, altenator, battery, gas filter (not in tank) and flushed the radiator. He could not find the PVC valve. Any ideas? My second question is I found that the vacumn line to the (ball) resevoir was unhooked. I hooked it back in but the routing does not look right to me. Please don't tell me to look at the emissions label. I have cruise contol, only one line comes from the resevoir into the cruise control, shouldn't there be a tee at the resevoir? Also, there is a line that comes from the lower right hand side of the engine to nowhere? When I got a smog check they told me that I would need a catalytic converter soon. Is there anyway I can temporarily disable it to see if this is my problem, maybe back pressure? Also do I have a back-pressure EGR? It seems to happen alot to 3.1 Lumina's, the only post I saw that sound like a good fix was the injector pulse, does the 1991 have this? Help me!:banghead:

sad-lumina-owner
09-20-2008, 10:21 PM
First let me explain my driveability problems...usually when the car was warmed up and travelling on the freeway it would start to sputter and jerk and die...I would keep pumping the gas and it would start again. This problem is intermittent. I noticed when I put injector cleaner in, it would happen less often.

With this early car, maybe you have a single 'throttle' injector. Can you find out? A faulty solenoid or connection could be contributing here. Perhaps you can try unplugging and replugging in the electrical connector to the fuel injector.

In earlier fuel injection cars, there would be a single fuel injector where the carburetor used to be. After that, they had more than one injector...

I have had a friend replace the plugs, wires, altenator, battery, gas filter (not in tank) and flushed the radiator. He could not find the PVC valve. Any ideas?

My second question is I found that the vacumn line to the (ball) resevoir was unhooked. I hooked it back in but the routing does not look right to me.

I don't know what that is or how it works, perhaps someone else could explain it.

Please don't tell me to look at the emissions label. I have cruise contol, only one line comes from the resevoir into the cruise control, shouldn't there be a tee at the resevoir? Also, there is a line that comes from the lower right hand side of the engine to nowhere?

it does sound like someone monkeyed with the lines, maybe to bypass pollution control or improve mileage?

When I got a smog check they told me that I would need a catalytic converter soon. Is there anyway I can temporarily disable it to see if this is my problem, maybe back pressure?

Your /91, like my /94, is OBD I. There should be no extra Oxygen sensors AFTER the catalytic converter, so it should not directly affect the engine behaviour.

Ignore that part of the problem, unless you think your exhaust system is clogged up somehow (broken off piece inside a muffler?)

Also do I have a back-pressure EGR? It seems to happen alot to 3.1 Lumina's, the only post I saw that sound like a good fix was the injector pulse, does the 1991 have this? Help me!:banghead:

DnaProRacing
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
trans code for 91 lumina euro 3.1L

Code 42

electronic spark timing circuit - open or shorted to ground during engine run

OR

Direct ignition system fault - bypass circuit open or shorted to ground during engine run

OR

fuel cutoff relay circuit - open or shorted to ground

Add your comment to this topic!