Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

drain plug on rad

ZJB-400
09-20-2008, 02:41 PM
How do I open the drain plug on my rad? It's making me look really stupid.
2002 sonoma 4.3
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/mullet_019/raddrainplug.jpg
thanks

2percent
09-20-2008, 04:39 PM
On my 1995 just turn it and it pulls out a little

MT-2500
09-20-2008, 05:20 PM
From the picture you need to turn it with a socket.
But my experiance with plast drain plugs they are better of left alone.
They break and strip and sometimes will not seal back up.
Safter to remove lower rad hose to drain it.
Why are you draining it?
For a colant add change flush or just a repair?

ZJB-400
09-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I need to flush my rad in a bad way. I got the plug open but nothing is coming out. It must be really plugged up. I'm trying not to make a mess of my driveway. This is why I want to use the drain plug. One quick question; Can I put the prestone cleaner in with the existing dirty coolant to break up the dirt, or do I have to make a huge mess?
Mr Clean
Thanks

MT-2500
09-20-2008, 06:38 PM
If plug is out remove rad cap and or try sticking a piece of wire piece in it.
I would think the cleaner would work better after you get dirty coolant out.
Another way to flush is to remove a heater hose and let engine pump out old coolant while adding water to rad.
Good Luck

ZJB-400
09-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I started the truck up and as it heated, I guess the pressure helped. then I removed the cap and my rad is drained. I'll get back to it tomorrow, it's too dark. I'm very disappointed in the draining system. It's not like my 97 jimmy at all. I'm going to Home depot tomorrow to try a rig up a better draining system.
thanks

MT-2500
09-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I started the truck up and as it heated, I guess the pressure helped. then I removed the cap and my rad is drained. I'll get back to it tomorrow, it's too dark. I'm very disappointed in the draining system. It's not like my 97 jimmy at all. I'm going to Home depot tomorrow to try a rig up a better draining system.
thanks

You are welcome.
Thanks for posting back how it went.
Yes drain plugs and drain system is the pits.:lol2:
You can not get to drain plug on some and some just break off and if you do get it draining it runs everyplace but where you want it.:disappoin
Old days they had a metal petcock with a hose on bottom to drain in a bucket with out all of the mess and problems.
Remember you need to dispose of old coolant and rad cleaner/flush in a safe manner.
For flushing it out I take the pressure heater hose and pipe/run it into a container.
Good Luck

ZJB-400
09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
You are welcome.
Thanks for posting back how it went.
Yes drain plugs and drain system is the pits.:lol2:
You can not get to drain plug on some and some just break off and if you do get it draining it runs everyplace but where you want it.:disappoin
Old days they had a metal petcock with a hose on bottom to drain in a bucket with out all of the mess and problems.
Remember you need to dispose of old coolant and rad cleaner/flush in a safe manner.
For flushing it out I take the pressure heater hose and pipe/run it into a container.
Good Luck
Well I figured it out. I took a hose, stuck it in boiling water, shoved it over a big allen key and quickly stuck it under cold water to give it that ninety degrees I needed without crimpimg the hose.(i gave the hose a memory)
It still crimps a little but I can still work with it and no mess.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/mullet_019/drainplughose.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!