Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator Hum

TheLonelyHalfCat
09-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey guys, heres another one for yeah.

I have hooked up right now, a 1200W sony(giggles) amp and a 1300WPP (900 Rated) 12" sony sub in my 06Spectra5 if got em running of this older model panasonic deck, when driving, usually after i turn my system down after pounding it for a while my alternator hums a very high pitched and loud hum. Its very noticable and has to be covered up with more loud music:D(not complaining more just curious. Ive talked to a couple people and was told there was some cheap kit thing that would fix or, ive also been told i need a capacitor, and some other stuff. Id prefer to get my answer from you talented individuals. Jus wondering what you guys think?

And also I was wondering whats is the best way to tweak your stereo to meet your needs. My amp has settings as does the deck and for the best performance shouldn't the two be tweaked together for best quality?

my amp has a low boost(40hz) nob, LP filter nob and a power rating nob.
The deck has a bass setting from -12 to +12db, and also a Sub.W setting from -infintiy to +6db. I can definatly hear the difference between the two but what is the actual logic between those values and what is the best way to tweak my amp and deck together.( right now i just randomly adjust everything till it sounds ok but is always far from it. I also have a custom equalizer which is balenced between all the frequencies +/- and not all above + like most people.
Thanks in advance!

PaulD
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
the alternator has to work harder to produce more power, if your stereo plus all your other car elctronics is drawing a lot of power it discharges your battery, so the alt has to do more work to recharge it.

There are ways to set your gains with a voltmeter, but most tuning is best done by ear.

Add your comment to this topic!