Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 S10, ignition switch, 4dr,4x4

wayne64
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I have found a bunch to read about the problem switches, but usually referring to the 97s. I bought a new switch two years ago and at the time couldn't have the Blazer down for even a short time. What I did was run a fused wire through a push button switch for the start funtion. Much like hot wiring in the 60s as the key switch wouldn't crank the engine. Now it's time for an inspection and I started getting codes, one was a p0785? I will change out the switch tomorrow yet would like to know what codes could a bad switch throw?

MT-2500
09-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Depending on what is bad.
Sometime many and sometimes none.
The switch will not throw codes.
Codes only pick up someting not working that can be caused by bad switch.
Are you sure it is the ign switch.
The start voltage has to go threw 4 - 5 things from switch to get to starter.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5819819#post5819819

wayne64
09-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the reply MT-2500. I just checked my crank fuse and
1. the fuse is good
2. key turned to the start position I get no power to either side of the fuse.
After reading the thread link on that oposite problem, I'm guessing my issue is between the switch and the fuse?
Unfortunitly my lousy Haynes book doesn't show which of the three relays is the start one.

MT-2500
09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
If no voltage to start fuse in start position.
It is ign switch or the yellow start wire from switch to fuse.
Are you looking at center rear engine compartment for relay?
The starter relay will have two blacks or one black and another color from fuse link for battery power ign hot one hot and one groumd.ground.

Yellow is the start wire feed into relay and the purple goos to starter solenoid?

When you put the push button start on it did you cut any wiring or just tap into it?

wayne64
09-19-2008, 10:34 AM
So I run down and buy the E4 socket and following the sticky pulled the switch. BUT when I got back to the harness connection I find spliced wires, a black box, and crimp on connectors. The heavy yellow was cut and directed to the "box" and then back to the harness connector. The heavy pink was tapped off to the "box". Lastly the small gray was tapped to the "box" that went to the smaller directional harness plug.
Am I guessing right that this was a add on remote start by a previous owner?
Please help as this is killing my old beat up body.

Leeann94astro
09-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Sounds like it - and a poor install job, to boot.

MT-2500
09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
So I run down and buy the E4 socket and following the sticky pulled the switch. BUT when I got back to the harness connection I find spliced wires, a black box, and crimp on connectors. The heavy yellow was cut and directed to the "box" and then back to the harness connector. The heavy pink was tapped off to the "box". Lastly the small gray was tapped to the "box" that went to the smaller directional harness plug.
Please help as this is killing my old beat up body.

The best thing to do is take the remote start/theft alarm off and throw it in the trash can.
The do the best you can on repairing the butchered up cobbled up wiring.

Get a good starter system wiring diagram to help you along .
Factory repair manual or all data onluine sub.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

wayne64
09-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I Thank you, I had a new switch on the self since the problem started. I soldered the one gray wire back together with shrink tubing. It starts fine and all thats left is the P0446 code that pops up, If I can keep the CEL off for 50 miles I'll be able to get it inspected. Thanks again :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!