Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Trailblazer Keeps Stalling

Terrilyne
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi I have a problem my 2002 trailblazer just recently started to stall while driving, seems to be when i slow down or come to a stop light.. I dont know whats wrong at all someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:confused:

maxwedge
09-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Welcome to AF, some info missing, does it start right back up, do you then have difficulty keeping it running, any check engine lite on?

Terrilyne
09-17-2008, 06:18 PM
yes i am able to start it right back up, i dont think i have difficulty keeping it running it idles a little rough i would say but other then that i think all is well, and no thats the weird part no check engine light, the message center just tells me to shut of engine but it has already stalled

maxwedge
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Start by having the throttle body cleaned.

Terrilyne
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
ok do you know abouts how much it costs, and do I just go to any shop and tell them that? I was just thinking when i'm driving it seems like its taking a little long for it to shift from gear to gear like its reving higher then normal before it changes would this be caused by the same thing?

Terrilyne
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
one more thing i think something may be suddenly messed up with my gas tank because sometimes when i start it it says there is fuel and sometimes it doesnt i usually have this problem when i keep it under a 1/4 tank

maxwedge
09-18-2008, 02:38 PM
The shifting issue is not normally part of the stalling, there are updates for the pcm programming that might correct the shifting, the TB cleaning costs about 60.00 here in upstate NY, the tank is is probably the gage in the tank.

islandlife
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
This issue seems to be everywhere but no one is clear on the solution. What was done about this issue?
Thanks

maxwedge
04-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Probably not going to get an answer on a 7 month old thread, try cleaning the throttle body.

islandlife
05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I have cleaned the throttle body using your guide with the same product but it did not fix it. I'm going to change all the spark plugs since i read the incorrect gapping will cause this issue and if that does not work i'm going to have to replace the throttle body and connectors.

gillette106
05-16-2009, 03:58 PM
My TB does the same. It is an 04. Only stalls when defroster or a/c are on. Have learned to just switch off when slowing down. I have also cleaned the throttle body with no luck. Any other ideas?

islandlife
05-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't have that issue with my ac but then again i never really pay attention to it. I have tried the seaform and the carb cleaner and that too did not solve this problem. I am changing the spark plugs but i'm unsure that will fix it. I have notice when i remove the throttle body connector the idle goes up to 1 and stays. I wonder if thats the direction i should be heading towards.

gillette106
05-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Removing the connection and causing smooth idle, though high @1000 rpm, may just be a computer related thing, I have been looking for a solution to this issue for a while, but without going to the dealer and paying a small fortune. Have several mechanic friends and all are baffled.

gillette106
05-16-2009, 04:50 PM
I wish that a GM dealership mechanic were reading these and knew the miracle cure!!

islandlife
05-16-2009, 07:07 PM
ok well i'm done with the spark plugs and although it seems like it took a little longer to stall it still did. Spark plugs is not the solution. I'm going to check the fuel filter and a the catalytic converter. If everything else fail i guess it would make a good barn fire. Thanks chevy.....

I finally got a code after posting here and rushed it to autozone. came to find out i need to get my throttle position sensor replaced. do anyone know where i could get a new throttle body at less than dealer pricing? After spending alot of money on a unneeded cam sensor and a throttle cleaning i would much rather take my business to someone else.

maxwedge
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Maybe it would be advantageous to let a GM tech get into this, as all this guess work has resulted in nothing, correct? There are numerous pcm software updates to correct this and other operating parameters. Not for a dyer.

gillette106
05-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Have you tried a throttle positioning switch? It sounds like yours seems to be stalling out a lot more than mine does. As I said, as long as I keep the a/c and defroster off, I'm all set. Probably something with compressor clutch on mine. Keep me posted!

Jethro
05-17-2009, 04:14 PM
your auto dealer might of been a cheaper fix this time huh?

islandlife
05-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Well i have ordered my new throttle body from the dealer ($320) and it should be here in 3 days so i'll keep everyone posted. Cross your fingers because if this does not work i'm done with this car. This also was the first and next step the GM recommended.

islandlife
05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok the throttle body did not fix the problem. I just got my new one from the dealer, installed it and the problem seems to still be around. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Before long i'll be building a new trailblazer one piece at a time.

maxwedge
05-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Have you checked into pcm updates with your dealer for this condition, as previously suggested?

islandlife
05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Yes that was one of the first things the dealer and the mechanic did. A quick summary of all that was done is: pcm update, clutch fan, cam sensor, oil change, fuel filter, spark plugs and a new throttle body. I'm at a lost and out of alot of money but because my wife still want this car i'm willing to try a couple more things and spend a several hundred more. According to more research it looks like i'm going to be changing the ignition switch, O2 sensors or the catalytic converter. I am completely clueless like GM.

maxwedge
05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
If any of the listed work was done to correct your specific problem, then their repairs were ineffective and they owe you a refund or addt'l work to correct your complaint, no?

islandlife
05-28-2009, 11:45 PM
I agree... They could have gave me back my money for the cam sensor but according to them it needed to be change as well. Which we all know that was BS but i didn't care to argue with them since they said there were other work that was done and was not charged. The clutch fan was returned and the throttle body was a special order part and could not be returned. Yeah I'm getting the shaft over here. Since they didn't have a clue they told me its guess work out of my pocket. (Paraphrasing of course)

according to the nhtsa its the ignition. Does the ignition mean the switch or the cylinder or the ignition coils?

Service Bulletins Summary

Make / Models : Model/Build Years: BUICK / RAINIER 2005
CHEVROLET / TRAILBLAZER 2005
GMC / ENVOY 2005
Service Bulletin Number : 3304 NHTSA Item Number : 10013494 Summary Description : INTERMITTENT STALL DURING LOW SPEED DECELERATION. *TT
Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm)

maxwedge
05-29-2009, 12:59 PM
The ign switch ass'y in the upper steering column. I will tell your symptoms do not match a switch failure, but it was common.

islandlife
05-29-2009, 01:33 PM
And you just might be correct on that but right now i'm willing to try whatever to make this thing work. I spoke with the guy at the auto parts shop and he was telling me it could be the intake airflow sensor or the Mass airflow temp sensor......... Before long i'm going to end up changing all the sensors, computer, switches and still have a crappy car. oh yeah, I tested all the ignition coils and they passed. I just got finish changing the ignition switch so lets see what happens with that.....

Failure.. The Ignition Switch isn't the solution but a little birdy told me to check out the Camshaft sensor so that will be the next step.

hasc_hux
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Did the cam shaft sens. replacement work?, I too have the same problem, went a got a computer to talk to the truck and the computer says all ok. Replace air intake sens, fuel filter and the canister purge solenoid. was thinking it was the fuel regulator. I have notice a fuel smell after running the truck.

Add your comment to this topic!