Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter won't disengage

raychoate76
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Not sure what happened but my starter wont disengage for some reason tried switch relay and starter no luck either way any thoughts ?

Airjer_
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
What year?

What engine?

And just to make it clear, did you replace the starter?

raychoate76
09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes I did I started with the solenoid then moved on to the starter then I changed out the ignition relay which was a recall issue changed out the ignition switch its a 98 Chevy Cavalier Z24 with the 2.4L any ideas ?

raychoate76
09-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Would you happen to have a wiring diagram for this year and model ?

rhandwor
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I think you forgot to install a shim for the starter. Do you mean the bendix is stuck in the flywheel? It didn't release after turning the motor over.

raychoate76
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes and it stays in what shims ????
none came out when I pulled it and this problem was exsisting before I had pulled and replaced the starter

rhandwor
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
These shims are available at the Chevy dealer and most parts stores. They are around .035 and they go between the starter and motor. Just loosen the bolts remove one and put the shim in install the bolt and tighten the bolts.
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first. It may take two but normally only one. One side of the shim has a hole and the other side has a notch.

raychoate76
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
ok I will try this but the condition was existing prior to the removal and installation of the starter but I looked em up and they were cheap enough so I will try it out I will let you know if it works

Airjer_
09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
So the only time the starter "stays engaged" is after the car is started. It never starts buy itself with either the key on or off, right?

raychoate76
09-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Well it is engaged constantly when power is applied regardless of key position like when the key is in the run position it is fine but once you go one click past not even to the actual start position it starts turning over

raychoate76
09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Well much to my pleasure the shims worked I am not sure why but it did and I am eternally grateful thanks so much for all the help all of you gave

rhandwor
09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
When you start the starter bendix goes forward and the gear turns the gear on the flywheel. If they are to close together they rub and bind. Sometimes they stick. The shim moves the starter away from the flywheel gear and it doesn't bind. They used to put a note in the box telling you to check the clearance.

raychoate76
09-19-2008, 06:52 AM
well the thing is that the car was suffering from that issue prior to me installing a new starter which has me puzzled as to why it started in the first place. The next issue is that it worked for a few minutes and then it went back to the same issue. Although I do realize that the shims I used are not the greatest I still did not think that the benefits should be so short lived

rhandwor
09-19-2008, 08:18 AM
The missing shim was probably an issue for the last starter. To check the bendix pull the starter and watch it move in and out. Not all rebuilts are done correctly. The starter has to be bolted down securely so it will work correctly.
Use a DVOM and check the wire to the solenoid. With it unplugged put the meter on it and make sure it turns on and off. A bad ignition switch or ignition relay can work some times and not work. If you have a 12 volt test light watch it as somebody else is wiggling the switch. If this is the problem check at the ignition switch and relay if it has one. As I'm not their I can only suggest different problems. For your shim at least cut one from some thin metal. A purchased shim will cover the flat spot where the two bolts go in to bolt it down. I worked on one with my mechanic and it took 30 or more trys before the ignition switch failed. We took it apart after installing a new one and it had burnt contacts.

Airjer_
09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I also think its time to monitor the small wire on the starter. I have a feeling its getting power when its not supposed to.

raychoate76
09-19-2008, 01:11 PM
well where does it get power from I changed out both the starter relay and the starter switch both are brand new

Add your comment to this topic!