Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 jetta hard starting?

jrock93
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a 1997 jetta trek that has 208,000 miles on it. Recently this car has had problems with cold starting. I have to turn it over several times repeatedly to get it to start. Also, the check engine light was on so I took it to autozone and it check cylinders 1 and 4 were misfiring. It was running fine though. After about a couple of days the check engine light went off and is still off, but it is still hard to crank when it is cold. When it warms up it cranks fine. The problem is when it has sat up for awhile. In the pass year I have replaced spark plugs, plug wires, rotor button and cap, and the ignition coil. Any help will be appreciated. Also, I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and still having this problem. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Franco2112
09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Fuel pump relay switch is bad.

jrock93
09-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Is that located under the dash and how am I to test this relay. Could you also explain to me how this relay works. Thanks for the help.

Franco2112
09-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Your fuel pump relay switch should be located near your fuse box. Your owners manual or dealer can direct you if you can't find it. The switch is a black or grey box clustered with similar boxes. The relay switch is no more than a higher dollar fuse and if it heats up the inner components go bad. You can test the switch by purchasing one and replace it with the old one. If she cranks you fixed it. If not, take back the part and get your money back. You can buy this at any autoparts store. Prices vary. Rock Auto seems cheap.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Add your comment to this topic!