Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need help buying a car. Help!!!!

ErikC7290
09-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I first started thinking about buying a car only a few months ago, I first was leaning towards getting a 2003 305z but as I am only 18 my parents felt it was to much car for me. Also it was 18,000 used. I don`t work at the moment but I was hoping to get a job some time in the near future, so I can maybe pay some of the cost of whatevr car I wanted to get.

My idea of buying a car died down after a while as it seemed kind of unecessary to buy a car that I really didnt need. Now the idea of having a car has risen again as I am in college now, that means there are more places to go and more places to be at certain times , also I plan to get a job in the next 2 weeks or so and I feel that I no longer need to rely on my father to pick me up and try me around everywhere as if i was 12.

So the car I was thinking about getting was a classic corvette, which may seem a bit unrealistic but I think it may be possible with the help of others on this site. Im am on a budget and can`t go any higher than 15,000 , I have seen on sites there are some corvettes for sale at the price, but there are so many miles on them my parents would never go for that.

So does anybody nowhere I can get a car like this for a reasonable price?
http://knightrid3r.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/72-corvette.jpeg

Here are some others 350 Z , Acura TL , or any of the BMW 3 series.

'97ventureowner
09-16-2008, 11:50 AM
So the car I was thinking about getting was a classic corvette, which may seem a bit unrealistic but I think it may be possible with the help of others on this site. Im am on a budget and can`t go any higher than 15,000 , I have seen on sites there are some corvettes for sale at the price, but there are so many miles on them my parents would never go for that.

That is a bit unrealistic for someone just starting out and on a budget. Have you factored in the costs of insurance,( which is higher for cars like this and for someone with a limited driving record,) and maintenance costs? Also is a vehicle like this practical for an 18 year old college student? Older Corvettes can have higher costs of repairs as they probably have had a rough life due to their nature as a sports or performance costs. Again, you also have to consider the costs of fuel as well.
Wouldn't it be easier to start out with a more economical , safe vehicle and save your money so when you're in your 20s or even 30s you can afford to purchase a vehicle like this? You could have more money to afford the insurance and upkeep .

coled91
09-17-2008, 07:17 PM
i agree with 97ventureowner. those cars that you want are really nice cars but a little over the top for a kid in college. the insurance when you are starting driving and also before you are 25 period is already extremely high and if you get a sports car like the ones listed it will be through the roof. i would get something that will last a while and wont be a ton to maintain. but if you want something sporty definately look into something like an 05-08 chevy cobalt ss. they are excelent cars for the price and very sporty and fast. i know the 08's cost about $22,000 brand new but closer to an 05 would be alot less. if you want something sporty go with one of those, i promise you will not be dissapointed. go testdrive one and see what im talking about

Add your comment to this topic!