Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Short ram intake or Cold intake

mexiNAMEDsqueak
09-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I was just wondering since I'm hearing you'd only gain about 2-3 horsepower with the short ram intake and was wondering if it'd be more cost effective to buy a cheap universal cold air pipe or a $200 short ram intake.

jakegday
09-16-2008, 07:37 AM
not sure what you mean by "cold air pipe" they all use the same heat resistant aluminum,

the difference between a short ram intake and a cold air intake is the short ram gets the air from under the hood, in the engine bay. the only thing that makes a cold air intake different is the end of the pipe, where the filter would be, is located somewhere outside of the engine compartment, where theres absolutely no chance of it sucking in the hot engine air

no short ram intake in the world should cost $200, however a good cold air intake could cost that much, and by good i mean one designed specifically for your car and engine, one that takes absolutely no modifying to make it fit just right. (not one from ebay)
if i cared enough about my car to invest money into for things it doesnt absolutely need to make it run, i would get my cold air intake from rdfabs.com, check them out, they KNOW cavaliers

mexiNAMEDsqueak
09-17-2008, 01:45 AM
thanks dude. i was just curious as to the differences.

Classicrocjunkie
09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
I've had both... only difference i've noticed is the amount of engine noise you can hear through them.

The short rams are by far louder than the CAI.

Besides that, I didn't notice a difference between the 2. (except on really really cold mornings where the CAI was like a bad out of hell)

ZenithZ24
09-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I'll have to agree with Cody ^
Short Ram is loud.
Cold Air is quiet.
Unless its rather cool outside they'll perform the same, but since Its gotten colder I've definitely noticed a nice difference in my CAI.

Add your comment to this topic!