Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 LS interior lights won't go out

usrigger
09-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Help! My daughter had the oil changed in my 03 LS and returning home she noticed the interior lights never went out. I've checked every door, went into the trunk and checked the fuses, all fuse were okay.

Disconnected the battery to allow everything to "reset" but when I plugged the battery back in the lights came back on...

I did notice after reconnecting the battery I get an dash message that shows "apply parking brake"

Help!

gcwimmer
09-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Turn the dash light dimmer rotary dial with the coin edge left of the steering colon down.

Reset the electrict emergency brake by steppinhg on brake and hold it down and then set the brake.

usrigger
09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
tried that too..just adjusts the dash lights.. not the overhead lights

danielsatur
09-14-2008, 09:32 AM
I would suspect the drivers door electronic door Adjar/dome light switch,because it's going to have the most wear.

Some Technicans clam if you spray WD40 in drivers door locking Mech,and
open/close the door a few X's ,that it will resolve the problem.

I had a problem with a door stricker being off pos or wear with my car.

MCGIVER

gcwimmer
09-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I would not use WD40 which is a solvent. There is a TSB to correct squeak/creak in the door latch that uses white lithium spry grease or silicone grease, I have to do this about once every year, takes five minutes.

The electrical switch uses a zero residue contact spray cleaner from Radio Shack.

gcwimmer
09-14-2008, 10:11 AM
tried that too..just adjusts the dash lights.. not the overhead lights

All of the way up is the always on position, try the contact spray on this switch.

usrigger
09-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Okay,
Tried that.. didn't work..I used "liquid grease".
I can pull the number 5 fuse (10A) and the lights go out.. I can pull the number 4 relay and the lights will go out..

could it be I have a bad relay? I'm not getting a door ajar message.

danielsatur
09-14-2008, 02:56 PM
If it's a bad relay,the light wouldn't be on!

A bad RELAY will usually acts like a blown fuse.

Stickey Relays will work if you tap them & should be treated as being bad.

Theres a way of drilliing a small hole in a bad relay and spraying contact
cleaner in the relay to clean it + plugging hole when complete.

** Make sure,that there is no other switch for your Dome Light! See Owners manual.

The Technican or your daughter might of toggled a switch without you knowing it!

MCGIVER

shorod
09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Have you pressed the buttons for the map lights? Maybe you inadvertantly turned the map lights on by the light buttons. Are all the interior lights on?

As for the parking brake message, you will get that anytime the battery is disconnected. Check the owner's manual for the calibration procedure you are supposed to go through following battery reconnection. I believe it is the same as gcwimmer mentions.

Also, I agree that you want to use contact cleaner on the door switches, not WD40. However, if it's a door switch, you should have a Door Ajar message in the driver information center.

-Rod

gcwimmer
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I bump it back up to see if problem solved?

Add your comment to this topic!