Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smoking under the hood

lilsweets3138
09-13-2008, 06:31 PM
1997 LS 2.2L

Today I was messing around with my car..MAYBE going 20-45mph then brake (not to a complete stop) and go up one street then speed up and then brake again and etc. Anyways I was testing my new brakes but yeah I was going a little fast :-P Well I started smelling a burning smell and some white smoke was coming from under the hood. It wasen't like..Holy Crap! That's alot! It was more of..Hmm,why is it smoking like that??

I did look under the car,there is no oil leaking BUT it looks like there is some oil ON the actual car. Where you drain the oil OR the automatic transaxle fluid pan.

Any info would helpsome.

Thanks again,
Christina

inafogg
09-13-2008, 07:01 PM
sounds like you have a leak ''oil'' of some kind blowing back possibly getting on exhaust causing the smoke

Classicrocjunkie
09-14-2008, 07:29 PM
if you changed the oil recently, it likes to soak into the exhaust flex pipe, I knew mine liked to smoke from there.

lilsweets3138
09-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Is it something to be concerned about and how can it be fixed? And no I haven't had an oil change.

Thanks again

jakegday
09-15-2008, 07:19 AM
i read the title and thought "thats a hell of a place to go have a cigarette"

did it smoke just that once, a couple times, or is it doing it all the time now?

J-Ri
09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I'd look for the source of the oil on the underside of the car... you can bet there is (or was, until it burned off) oil on the exhaust too.

If you didn't wipe the oil off the new rotors (keeps them from rusting until installed), that could smoke a bit.

lilsweets3138
09-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Well it ONLY seems to smoke when I drive at high speeds for along time..I'd say 20-30mins. Theres no oil on the exhaust and it's not the rotors. The only thing I see is a tiny bit of oil leaking from the vavle cover. I have a new valve cover gasket but I am not sure how to install it.

Classicrocjunkie
09-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Take some pictures if you can.

Valve cover gasket is easy. Just remove the intake, and take out the bolts holding down the valve cover. Clean the mating surfaces really well and re bolt everything back up with new gasket in place.

Add your comment to this topic!