Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

80 el camino getting no gas

tom12789
09-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I have a 80 el camino. getting no gas to the engine.I verifed that the fuel pump is working. I can put a hose on the pump and put it in a bucket of gas and its starts and runs fine. no gas comes from the fuel line where it enters the fuel pump. I can blow air in the line and hear air noise in the tank but NO bubbles. That is strange. I can put vacum on the line and never pull any gas.
i know i must have 1/2 tank of gas. I also put an additional 5 gallons in it to make sure it has gas. I suspect i have a hole in the gas line somewhere.(but i dont see any leaks) I just dont know if it inside the tank above the liquid or outside the tank possibly at a flexible coupling hose between the pipe and the tank. Any one have any ideas?

tom12789
09-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Just did another test. I took my air hose and a rag and pressurized the gas tank with some air. It did force gas up to the engine but i noticed that there was a large amount of gas that was dripping down to the ground on the front side and back side of the tank. This makes me assume that maybe the leak is above the gas tank. Maybe a flexible hose that connects the pipe to the tank. I can not see above the tank so guess i will have to take it somewhere on a rack and have them lower the gas tank.

cherryelky305
09-20-2008, 11:18 PM
dropping the tank is no big deal, you can do it in a driveway. just get a jack to hold the tank up and take the straps off, then it should drop out. then you can fix or replace any lines that have dissapeared.

bobss396
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
You probably have a dry rotted hose way up on the tank, on some cars I've been able to reach them. But you may have to drop the tank to replace 39¢ worth of hose.

Bob

hyphy_boi
10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
i had the same problem i pulled the fuel line off the tank it is clamped on it the line on the right hand side if u take that off & remove the fuel return on the carb & blow the line out with a compressor it should work if not try changing your fuel filter it could just be cloged & if u have too it might be the fuel pump if its a mechanical one its like 20$ & pretty easy to change but i would try that.

Add your comment to this topic!