Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing the Stupid and Dangerous Rear Spoiler

sad-lumina-owner
09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
While driving on the highway 2 years ago (2005) the top half of the rear spoiler tore off and flew down the highway behind us. Luckily no one was killed.

We pulled over and retreived the (now scraped) piece of fibreglass, and stored it in the garage.

Glue it back on? Are you kidding? And risk a repeat performance with possible death. No.

In fact, I drove the car around for over a year with the top half off, just to underline the possible danger to every other driver on the road.

The Lumina Spoiler should get an award for the most dangerous and stupid design ever, discounting the Ford Pinto.

But the eyesore of the ugly off-white bottom still attached to the trunk had to be dealt with eventually. So I removed the 10 screws holding it on and filed the bottom piece along with the other - "do not use".

This left six holes along the edges of the trunk, and four in the back center.

In fact, the edge holes don't leak water into the trunk because they are OUTSIDE the actual inner trunk opening.

Nonetheless, I filled all the holes with reasonable looking and commonplace black rubber grommets. These go in easily, and look tidy from a distance. I filled the holes in the centre of the grommets with black goop (comes in a large toothpaste tube).

http://www.qzoka.com/images/9t9h12ubmsjy0axgojr.jpg

Voila!

In fact, now the car has less wind resistance and better mileage, although I imagine there is slightly less rear stability when going over 60 mph. Of course the wife never drives faster than that.

p.s. I ran into one of the guys at GM Oshawa who actually assembled these things. He knew instantly, yeah it was one of the early ones (1994).

"The glue is horrible! The spoiler doesn't do anything at all. Its just for show. Its crap."

He confirmed my opinion of the whole affair.

gw84
09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I enjoy reading your posts! This is another great story! you're posts are really great and provide a lot of useful information!!

sad-lumina-owner
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I enjoy reading your posts! This is another great story! you're posts are really great and provide a lot of useful information!!

Thank you!

You can never please everyone, but its nice to know that of the many reading, some are getting benefits. For every person like you who takes the time to respond, I'd like to think there are maybe ten or so who would have said something, but are too shy or don't have the time.

The main thing I am doing is trying to save myself money and have have a better, safer car. At the same time, what I am learning I want to share with anyone who can benefit.

I think of it as payback when something goes my way, that I should try to help others with my experience. Its the least I can do, so I take the time to make these posts.

I also have had many great exchanges with others, and lots of help from posters when I had a problem or a question.

I am just glad to be able to pay back some of the help I've gotten.

Peace

Over Heated
09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Hmm, Heres an idear. How about not trying to turn your every day street car in to a race car. How fast were you going for that thing to come off like that? You didnt think that was really going to work? did you? Don't look so cool now.

sad-lumina-owner
09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Hmm, Heres an idear. How about not trying to turn your every day street car in to a race car. How fast were you going for that thing to come off like that? You didnt think that was really going to work? did you? Don't look so cool now.

Hmmm. Not sure I understand your point:

The car came with a spoiler, factory installed.

The fastest I've ever driven was 60 mph. I know this because it was a school bus, and I had it floored. Schoolbuses have a 'governer' that prevents them from speeding. I was 16 at the time, and I drove it because I was hitchhiking through Quebec, and the drunken guy who was supposed to drive it asked me to, while he passed out. I had no licence at the time. But before 1970 that was not so strange.

I once 'sped' in a tractor (also at 16), oh perhaps 30 mph.

Add your comment to this topic!