Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering fluid overflow

jzbeaver
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a 1998 Windstar/ 3.8. Recently, it had to be towed; this was done by attaching a chain to the front axle, and winching it up onto a flatbed truck. It had to be steered a little to get it lined up with the flatbed, but the moto was not on.

The next day, I noticed that power steering fluid had overflowed and had gotten on nearby parts of the engine, which I wiped off. Could the overflow have been caused during towing-- and if so, how can that be avoided in the future?

Also, not too long after that, I got a "check engine light" with code P1538, indicating a stuck Bank 1 IMRC. On testing, I found that the vacuum was not working, and replaced the unit. Some of the power steering fluid had been the unit when the vehcile was towed, a week or two earlier-- could the IMRC failure have been caused by fluid having been spilled on it?

Airjer_
09-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Anytime the steering wheel is turned back and forth with the engine off the P/S fluid will push out of the reservoir. This happens on just about all fords and is not unusual by any means. Start it up turn the wheel back and forth a couple of times shut off and top off the fluid. It will be fine.

I couldn't give you the answer to question 2.

Add your comment to this topic!