Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 tahoe occasionally won' start any Ideas?

supraballs
09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I purchased a 2005 Tahoe about 5 months ago and it has been perfect until about 3 days ago. I made a trip to the store and when I came out about 10 minutes later the truck wouldnt start. The truck turns over, sounds like the fuel pump is working, but it wont fire up. I sat there for about 10 minutes trying to start it on and off, but nothing, sat there about another 10 minutes without doing anything and it finally started up. then it did it again yesterday morning to my wife, and again today. She got it restarted today and was driving back to work and it sputtered and died on the side of the road, she then got it started again after about 10 minutes and got it home. does any one have any ideas, cause it is going to the shop on thursday if I can't get it figured out?:confused:

roadrunner2
09-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I purchased a 2005 Tahoe about 5 months ago and it has been perfect until about 3 days ago. I made a trip to the store and when I came out about 10 minutes later the truck wouldnt start. The truck turns over, sounds like the fuel pump is working, but it wont fire up. I sat there for about 10 minutes trying to start it on and off, but nothing, sat there about another 10 minutes without doing anything and it finally started up. then it did it again yesterday morning to my wife, and again today. She got it restarted today and was driving back to work and it sputtered and died on the side of the road, she then got it started again after about 10 minutes and got it home. does any one have any ideas, cause it is going to the shop on thursday if I can't get it figured out?:confused:

You MAY have picked up some dirty fuel along the way and it's possible the fuel pump pick-up tube is sucking up enough dirt to stall the pump and then while the truck just sits, the dirt falls away from the tube until the next time.

Dirty fuel filter or perhaps a faulty fuel regulator not holding the fuel pressure up.

There MAY be a problem with the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve.

supraballs
09-11-2008, 12:16 PM
I appreciate the help. I had picked up the Haynes repair manual and checked out the trouble shooting section and all the parts it says could be the problem (fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel filter) are all contained on the in-tank pump. So everything you described were correct according to the book, they just made it a non-serviceable unit to the average Joe. It goes to the Shop today cause I have no way to empty and pull the fuel tank in my small garage. Thanks.

2000CAYukon
09-11-2008, 01:32 PM
The fuel pressure needs to be tested to see if the pressure is dropping when the engine is turned off.

The regulator is on the fuel rail and is not in the tank. It is servicable. Drivers side. See if there is fuel in the vacuum line.

//2000CAYukon

Add your comment to this topic!