Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water Pump Problem (NOT SURE) EMERGENCY

rmzerosk8er
09-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Well the other day I was driving my car then heard a ticking comming from my engine. When I looked down i noticed that my car was overheating. I pulled over and stopped the car. As soon as I did this smoke started filtering out of the engine's timming belt cover. I noticed that the belt was still tight. I know if that rips I will have bent valves (and the engine will blow pretty much). I also noticed under the car was some antifreeze. Note: the smoke smelled like burned antifreze. I was told my water pump Siezed up. Can anyone tell me what's the deal.

Oh when I started the car later the car knocking was even louder than when I shut it off.

I need the car to be fixed ASAP or I will lose my job.

david-b
09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Well the other day I was driving my car then heard a ticking comming from my engine. When I looked down i noticed that my car was overheating. I pulled over and stopped the car. As soon as I did this smoke started filtering out of the engine's timming belt cover. I noticed that the belt was still tight. I know if that rips I will have bent valves (and the engine will blow pretty much). I also noticed under the car was some antifreeze. Note: the smoke smelled like burned antifreze. I was told my water pump Siezed up. Can anyone tell me what's the deal.

Oh when I started the car later the car knocking was even louder than when I shut it off.

I need the car to be fixed ASAP or I will lose my job.

First welcome to AF. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Look to see where the coolant dripped from. If the pump breaks, I don't think it will leak... it just stops flowing. Is there coolant in the reserve tank? And was it boiling in there when you had the issue? Open your thermastat cap and see if it's stuck open/close or broken.

What year and trim do you have?

rmzerosk8er
09-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclips GS. Non Turbo, 420A motor (ALL Stock)

The reserve tank was a little low. but there was no pressure when I took the radiator cap off. I did it like 2 minutes after I took the timming belt cover and inspected the belt itself. Everyone said there should have been some type of pressure on the cap and hoses...but nothing.

What could the noise be. Others told me that the bearing for the internal spindal for the pump itself could have broke. True or false?

david-b
09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclips GS. Non Turbo, 420A motor (ALL Stock)

The reserve tank was a little low. but there was no pressure when I took the radiator cap off. I did it like 2 minutes after I took the timming belt cover and inspected the belt itself. Everyone said there should have been some type of pressure on the cap and hoses...but nothing.

What could the noise be. Others told me that the bearing for the internal spindal for the pump itself could have broke. True or false?

The radiator cap is under pressure for a long time even after the car is shut off so that would be a problem. Sounds like water pump. Anyone else?

Only one way to find out.

SilvrEclipse
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
If coolant is leaking from the timing belt area then Im thinking its the water pump. DO NOT drive the car if there is a problem in the timing belt area. Like you said it could bend valve. A water pump is about $30, you dont want to turn it into a $500 problem or more. You should go ahead and replace the timing belt while your in that area.

david-b
09-09-2008, 09:37 PM
If coolant is leaking from the timing belt area then Im thinking its the water pump. DO NOT drive the car if there is a problem in the timing belt area. Like you said it could bend valve. A water pump is about $30, you dont want to turn it into a $500 problem or more. You should go ahead and replace the timing belt while your in that area.

I also want to add depending on mileage and if a timing belt change was ever done, might be worth while to change the oil pump too since you've got it all apart.

spytearbite
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
If the water jackets dried, you may be hearing piston skirts knocking. Not good!
Bottom end might have cooked the oil and now a bearing failed is a rod knock? Water blocks need that coolant or that engine is not about to save parts is eat parts.

You need to get a pressure tester on the radiator, max the 14.7 is red-line the gauge. Now go under the car and watch where the coolant is coming from. Pressure test the cap for 15psi blow-off.
If you can install water in the engine so it is full, then start the car is listen for that pump or a lot of engine pistons ticking like even if you set the valve lash on the money and that top end ticks like a valve? That is skirt slap w/out proper clearance. That means it ticks on the down, it ticks on the up strokes too = Tick-Tick!

She's dead! The car is practically a throw away. Crate engine is the only way to go. The block is warped and maybe the head is gonna crack down the road along with the block and all that heat cycling is toast putting a dime in that engine.

rmzerosk8er
09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Well this saturday and sunday I am going to raise the engine and replace the timming belt and water pump and the water pump gasket. after that I will get back to you guys.

Thanks alot for all your imput.
Do you guys know where I can get a new or rebuilt 420A motor.(if need be)
I also was wondering if an Eagle ESI motor could be a replacement (I like the way it looks)or would that be to much work (ECU, Trans, Motor mounts)
I live in an apartment so builing one of my own just would not work.

david-b
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Well this saturday and sunday I am going to raise the engine and replace the timming belt and water pump and the water pump gasket. after that I will get back to you guys.

Thanks alot for all your imput.
Do you guys know where I can get a new or rebuilt 420A motor.(if need be)
I also was wondering if an Eagle ESI motor could be a replacement (I like the way it looks)or would that be to much work (ECU, Trans, Motor mounts)
I live in an apartment so builing one of my own just would not work.

ESI motors are again 420a. Absolutely no difference between the ESI and GS/RS trim. You can't swap another motor in there (well you can, but time, money... you get the point). You can find motors on eBay that are stock rebuilds. Usually around $1000-$1500 for a total stock rebuild with head and basically everything shipped.

JoeShmoe
09-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Its going to take you the whole day to replace those pumps. Like others suggested I would also go ahead and do the timing belt at the same time. Would you know what you're doing? (Do you have a haynes manual?

Add your comment to this topic!