93' JBL premium stereo question

dans93mark
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
My 93' Mark 8 has a bad JBL amplifier. My specific concearn is: Where are the crossovers for the 6 x 8 woofer-mids-tweeters located ? Are they integrated in the amp or can I locate them somewhere within the harness assembly?
The factory component speakers are fine but the amp is bad. I want to add an amp or amps to the existing speakers but prefer not having to add crossover networks.
If I have to, I'll just add a pair of coax's to the front doors wired straight to my pioneer head unit and use a mono amp in the trunk with my 8" bazooka . But,... the factory stereo sound was sweet at one time and I don't want to play the junkyard game with amps.
I appreciate any input here. I pretty much do all the work on my Mark and today I finally joined the FORUM after reading most of the posts at one time or another.
I never saw this question out there anywhere

el lobo
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I is my understanding that everything is run thru the JBL factory amp, no crossovers. Mine went out and I found one on eBay for under $50. Plugged it in and works fine. I believe they are the same amp for 93-98 models.

You might be able to find more information about what others have done here:
http://www.lincolnforums.com

dans93mark
09-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I is my understanding that everything is run thru the JBL factory amp, no crossovers. Mine went out and I found one on eBay for under $50. Plugged it in and works fine. I believe they are the same amp for 93-98 models.

You might be able to find more information about what others have done here:
http://www.lincolnforums.com
Did your music go to one side (or channel) as if something was loose then when you hit a good bump bounce back temporarily only to shift again without the help from a bump ? I know it sounds crazy, but I have checked every connection and this is a new head unit - the old one had the same effect before I got this one. I went thru a couple of OEM amps locally and they were both shot! I mean blank. BUT I guess I could try Ebay,at least I might get my money back. Thanks my friend

el lobo
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Did your music go to one side (or channel) as if something was loose then when you hit a good bump bounce back temporarily only to shift again without the help from a bump ? I know it sounds crazy, but I have checked every connection and this is a new head unit - the old one had the same effect before I got this one. I went thru a couple of OEM amps locally and they were both shot! I mean blank. BUT I guess I could try Ebay,at least I might get my money back. Thanks my friend

It started with the sound being really fuzzy on the left channel and fine on the right channel. Replaced it with another one that had similar issues as you are having. Hit a bump and terrible static and popping would be produced. Found that that unit had a bad solder connection on the board at one of the plugs that would contact and then not contact causing the issue on bumps.

The problem with this system as well as other parts on the car, the amp is an obsolete item from the mfg. At $1200 new, if you can find one the cost is prohibitive. To keep the system in as it was designed, it would involve a search of local salvage yards or online for a replacement. The unit develops a lot of heat in the enclosed tray, I feel causing some of the issues long term. But that is the design we deal with. Hopefully you will find one that works to keep the car as it was designed.

My first Mark was a '93. Put over 175,000 miles on it. Just did not care for the head light setup at all as the lenses tend to haze really bad. Keeping them polished up will help.
Good luck with your car as in my opinion, it is one of the finest sport luxury cars out there.

Add your comment to this topic!