Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 probe, No power to fuel pump.

boozer89
09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 89 ford probe, that will tell me which relay controls the fuel pump, and all the wiring. I just replaced the alternator, and now the fuel pump isn't working. All fuses are good. cant find anything unplugged, or broke. I cant see the wires at the tank. where do they come in at? or a good place to check for current near the tank/

rhandwor
09-07-2008, 08:23 PM
It appears to go from the integrated relay controller to the inertia switch. I would check for power at this switch. This is a 3.0L if you have a different size engine reply back. But all of them would go through the inertia switch.

boozer89
09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
its a 2.2, There is a vacume switch that clicks every time i connect the fuel pump fuse. but i cant feel any of the relays on the firewall clicking, there are 5 of the. and only marked in roman numerals. if i knew which one to check for power would be a great help.

rhandwor
09-08-2008, 06:06 AM
My book shows a distributor connector,canister purge solenoid,pressure regulator,fuel pump relay which has 6 prongs the ground is black,idle speed controller. These are in one line so i would look in this area. It appears to need the power relay and ignition switch start/run to work. Standard shift.
I can scan and send to a private email address send me a private email. Also state if automatic or standard.

rhandwor
09-11-2008, 04:04 PM
What did you find out was the problem?

boozer89
09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I hope to be able to have time to go over and look at it tomorrow. The print doen't tell me which relay is actually for the fuel pump, There 5 i believe, I II III IV V and two others. but not all the slots have relays in them. They are mounted on the firewall.

dunn782
09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Any update on this problem? I have a similar problem. Pulled the pump and it seems to run when connected directly to power. It doesn't run at all when the key is turned on. Does this car have an inertai switch?

Scrapper
09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
have you tryed reseting the gas cut out switch in the back? if not it's back by the left rear back wheel inside inside the hatch. and those were bad on the iac senser.

dunn782
09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
The cut out switch in the back seems to be ok. I see the two relays up front, one 4 prong, one 5 prong. When I put 12 v on the 4 pronger it closes and the other two prongs have continuity. On the 5 prong I connect power and get the relay to close but I don't ever get a change in continuity on the others. This relay has 2 coils and a small capacitor it it. I think I can hear both of them close when I crank it but I never get any power to the pump terminals. I would check the wires themselves for continuity but there are a whole bunch of wires to sort out and they don't look bad. I do have power to the fual gauge float and it works. Any ideas?

rhandwor
09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
The fuel pump relay has 6 prongs with a black ground wire.

boozer89
09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
The trip swich in the trunk was the first thing i checked. so i know thats not it. Hopefully if the weather holds out, im going to take a look at it tommorrow.

dunn782
09-16-2008, 05:40 AM
I don't have a 6 prong relay at all, only a 5 and a 4. I ordered the 5 prong should have it today. Sure hope that is the probelm. If not I'm not sure where to go next with it. I'll keep everyone posted.

rhandwor
09-16-2008, 07:13 AM
What size engine do you have they are different?

FORDGUY09
12-08-2008, 06:32 AM
i dont have a diagram but can tell ya the 2 wires and the single wire all go into fuses before the pump and are both power wires u can straight wire them to the ignition or to a toggle switch (had same problem) btw its the fuel cut off switch there not great for where there located at

Add your comment to this topic!