Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting problems Olds 88

Eddie Dean
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Hello, I am the Dutch owner of an Oldsmobile delta 88 royal Brougham of 1980.
I have some starting problems. It started when I was driving and the car lost his power. I could not reach the normal rpm. So I installed a new ignition coil, new spark plugs, inc. wires. Afterthat the car still started, but still no power and normal rpm. now the car will even not start.

Please give me some sugestions of where I can start to look after.

King regards

maxwedge
09-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Welcome to AF. Basics, does it srart if you pour fuel in the carb, 307 engine I assume, does it have spark, none of these issues were mentioned here.

Eddie Dean
09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the lack of info.
It's a 231 cid buick engine (V6)
It has spark and get its fuel, I also poured fuel directly in the carb and it still didn't start.

MagicRat
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Your description is typical of an engine's cam drive chain that has become worn and loose. Sometimes they can skip a tooth on the lower sprocket which retards the valve and ignition timing off so far that the engine will not start or loses power.
A new cam chain and sprocket set is required if this is the problem. The existing chain cannot be adjusted or tightened when it's too loose.

Eddie Dean
09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for your reply MagicRat.

just to avoid misunderstanding, with the engines cam drive chain you mean the timing chain? (Sorry I'm dutch so some technical english words need a little more explanation)

maxwedge
09-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, timing chain.

Eddie Dean
09-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I am now trying to replace the timing chain and sprockets, but I have a lot of problems with losening the pulley and the harmonic balance. This bolt is very very tight, are there some smart tricks?

maxwedge
09-16-2008, 02:39 PM
What is the problem, too tight, cant hold the pulley stationary?

Eddie Dean
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Both, I am spaying WD-40. Hope it will help.
I already removed bolts which retain the pulley on the balancer, but it looks like the balance and the pulley are in one piece.
I've read in the Haynes repair manual I should remove the lower bellhousing and wedge a pry between the flywheel teeth while loosening the large bolt of the balancer, but I am afraid to damage the flywheel.

maxwedge
09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Do it, standard procedure. WD40 will not loosen bolts, PB Blaster or some other rust buster, but usually that is not needed here. Also you may need a puller here once the large bolt is off, if you have a manual check that.

Eddie Dean
09-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks, I will try then.
Yes I've read about the puller and just ordered the one Haynes suggest to use.

Add your comment to this topic!