Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jerks

Helloamerica
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi all
My Toyota Camry has been giving some slight jerks during shift of gears.
When i accelerate from 0 to 10 to 20 to 30 MPH the automatic transmission shits the gears and during this shift of gears i get some slight jerks.
Is it a Tranny's issue or CV Joints or something else.
Pls advice me.
Thanks

RIP
09-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Could be either. Have you changed the filter and fluid lately? Get the car on a lift and try twisting the axles with the tires fixed on a surface. Should see very little movement. An experienced eye would help on this one. Cut CV boots are a red flag for bad CV joints.

Helloamerica
09-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Actually my old mechanic has replaced all the CV joints and still am getting so i took to the other mechanic he said its due to CV joints only not the tranny also he said my old mechanic did not replaced CV joints with good ones so its broken immediately.
He told to replace again and the problem will be corrected.

nmikmik
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
how about going to your "old" mechanic and asking him to look at the axles again? The CV joints (don't know why they would replace just the joints instead of the whole axle) should be under some kind of warranty. If not the joint manufacturer warranty then at least your mechanic's warranty. I'd just ask him how much would it cost you to replace the whole axle(if in fact that is a bad joint) , especially if he is willing to cover portion of it with his CV joint warranty.
major CV test would be on the slow turns and under intermittent load - you should (most of the times) hear a specific clunking noise coming from the front end.
as RIP says, check the trany too, not that any of you guys would do it, but i've seeing some "mechanics" badmouthing other guy just to get the job... :shakehead

jdmccright
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
A quick check of the tranny fluid level and condition would be ideal. If it's low it can cause shifting problems...likewise if the fluid is old, brown, and smells burned. It wouldn't cost much to drain & refill the tranny fluid and filter. My guess is it's probably due anyways.

But the CV joint check given above is easy too. Drive in tight circles and listen for clicking or thunking on one or both sides...sure signs of bad CV joints. Finally, if you can jack up one wheel at a time, give raised wheel a firm jiggle with you hands at the top and bottom of the tire (pulling towards and pushing away from you). It shouldn't move at all. If they do, the wheel bearings may be worn. Hope this helps!

Helloamerica
09-14-2008, 11:28 AM
My mechanic replced the motor mounts and CV Joints and serviced the transmission.But i still felt the jerks and then he tightened the acceleration cable and jerks reduced a bit but now when i drive slowly i still find small jerk during gear shift.
Advice needed

davemac2
09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
what is the year and model of your camry?

If you have an older model like a 1993 or earlier, then you would have a throttle pressure cable going into the valve body of the trans from you TB. Sometimes what can happen is this cable can stick in its sleeve or the ferrule on the sleeve where it goes into the trans could have broken. It effectively shortens that cable and causes excessive trans pressure which results in the jerk felt. It is more apparent on the 1st-2nd shift. You may want to try a new cable. To install it though, you need to drop the trans pan. Try adjusting the cable at the TB.

dave mc

Helloamerica
09-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Dave
Mine's is Toyota Camry 1999 model with 2.4LE 4 cylinder.
I am feeling very little jerks and no mechanic is trying to undertsand as my jerk problem as it is very slight only at the beggining of shift gears from 1 to 2.
Give me valuable advice

jdmccright
09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
If the fluids are okay, I'd check to see if you have the "ECT" button (next to the shifter) set to "Power" instead of "Econ". This can cause later shifting at higher rpms, making the transition more noticeable. If not, then I'd have someone check for any trouble codes stored in the ECM by connecting a OBD-II scan tool.

Your car is still fairly new (so to speak, though you don't say the mileage), but seals and pistons in the transaxle's valvebody do wear. You might consider some tranny fluid that is made for higher mileage cars and/or adding some that contains a "stop-leak" additive (DO NOT OVERFILL!) 4-cylinder Camrys don't have a butter-smooth tranny to begin with but neither are they jolting. The only other thing that could be the problem are a sticking shift solenoid...requiring your mech to drain and remove the pan. So, stick with the simple stuff first.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum that outlines the test procedures for your vehicle's transmission and potential causes in a table format.

Add your comment to this topic!