Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Short belting?

Stroker_347
09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey, i have a 1984 2 barrel central fuel injection mustang, and it is completley california emissioned. I was wondering what would happen if i run a belt just to drive the altenator and the water pump and completly leave the air pump untouched. Could it be drivin without the air pump or would screw up the air pump from the hot air coming from the thermactor lines.(i live in a non emission controled place) thanks

MrPbody
09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
It is illegal to override or render useless any emmission control system under Federal law. If you live within the borders of the USA, you DO live in an "emmissions place".

That being said, if you leave the AIR pump inactive, it WILL sieze eventually. Presumably from the heat you speak of. Contrary to popular belief, it has no affect on performance.

We have, actually, used the pump to our "advantage" when headers were installed on Chevys. By bending the tubes that go into the headers in a "U", and point them "down" the header tube instead of directly at the valve, you create a bit of a "low pressure" area at the port exit. This allows the exhaust to flow more freely into the system. Unfortunately, the Ford system differs and it would be a bit of a "task" to make it happen.

Jim

HiFlow5 0
09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
It is illegal to override or render useless any emmission control system under Federal law. If you live within the borders of the USA, you DO live in an "emmissions place".

That being said, if you leave the AIR pump inactive, it WILL sieze eventually. Presumably from the heat you speak of. Contrary to popular belief, it has no affect on performance.

We have, actually, used the pump to our "advantage" when headers were installed on Chevys. By bending the tubes that go into the headers in a "U", and point them "down" the header tube instead of directly at the valve, you create a bit of a "low pressure" area at the port exit. This allows the exhaust to flow more freely into the system. Unfortunately, the Ford system differs and it would be a bit of a "task" to make it happen.

Jim
It takes up weight and has great paralistic drag on the motor. Technically anything you can do to remove paralistic drag will "free up" lost power to the motor, which may equate to about a tenth or two in the 1/4 mile.

With that being said its very common to run short belts in the Mustang community, but I would only bypass the smog pump if you are not running cats, as in an offroad exhaust h-pipe. Bypassing the smpg while stull running cats will cause them to build with carbon and effect emissions and cause havic on the EEC.

States such as the one I live in, MA are dooing away with emissions testing on all OBD1 cars starting in Oct, so you can get away with this here easily. But before that, any alteration of cats would result in a huge fine, but no one ever listened to that. We would swap stock exhuasts for performance catless ones and vise versa around emissions time.

Add your comment to this topic!