Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

05 Ion No Spark

jwalker1970
09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a 05 Ion 2.2L 5spd 58,000 miles with NO Spark.

I had a coil pack/ ignition module failure about 3000 miles ago causing a No spark condition. Replaced with a used coil pack assy, ran perfect. Verified coil pack was dead by doing a switcharoo with a Malibu 2.2L; made the Malibu No spark and Ion ran.

The car died again today.

This time I did not have a test car to borrow coil pack, however I bought one at the auto recycler that had just been tested and came off of a running car.

Still NO Spark.

I have no pending ECM codes, except for fuel level (I unhooked & re-hooked fuel tank plug to test for power to fuel pump.)

I have fuel pressure at the rail, and power to the fuel pump.

The ECT sensor reads about 19 degrees celcius which puts it +/- 2 degrees of the actual temp in my shop.

My injectors are working and "flooding my" plugs.

I am getting no spark out of the plug boots with plugs attached in test postion. (ground strap to coil pack, coil pack plugged in laid on manifold, spark plugs attached to boots and touching aluminum engine.

Any ideas??

I am off to try a used ECM and another coil pack tomorrow.

jwalker1970
11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Forgot to post a solution to the previous post....

Confirmed fuse #11 (fuse block under hood) had blown when coil pack failed.

Re-installed coil pack, still no run.

Installed another used coil pack to make the car run perfectly.

hinton08
06-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Try installing a new coil pack instead of a used one. They will last much longer.

ionman06
09-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Forgot to post a solution to the previous post....

Confirmed fuse #11 (fuse block under hood) had blown when coil pack failed.

Re-installed coil pack, still no run.

Installed another used coil pack to make the car run perfectly.
(ionman06 redline edition here w all the toys and a large supercharger have had similar problems w premature coilpak failures there r 4 coil/igmods one per cyl as mine tie in a secondary ground u must follow wiring diagram to assure positive id on color but has help me not blow the nmbr 11 fuse and coils still work after 55 k miles i have massive 2.0 uilt for 32 lb supercharger w custom everything from ecaust to programable lmbda controller

Add your comment to this topic!