Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What can happen??? Potential project...

zique
09-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking at a 2000 Elantra with 95,000 on the clock. Owner's statement is "Timing belt went out and we decided to just buy a new car."

My question is, will a simple replacement fix the problem or could other damage have been caused by the timing belt "going out"? He's asking $2000 and the rest of the car seems to be in fairly decent condition. I drive a beastly gas-hog of a truck and was thinking this could be a cheap way to save some $$ for a few years and just use the truck when I haul stuff.

Advice is appreciated...TIA:thumbsup:

peachferrari
09-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Timing belt should be replaced at 60k miles, so if they went to 95k and it "went out" it could have seriously damaged the engine. Depends on what "went out" means exactly, but if it broke or jumped or something it might need a whole new engine, in which case it's not worth even close to $2000

zique
09-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, I have heard both sides of the story. One instance I heard these called non-interface engines which apparently means they don't get damaged when the timing belt breaks??? Was this mis-information? Is there any easy way I could tell when I look at it if the valves or piston got damaged?

dmiller66
09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
I dont know how timing belts "go out". I left my original on for 120k, when I took it off, it still looked new.

Add your comment to this topic!