Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

A/C Help!!!

davidg4781
09-03-2008, 02:28 PM
My A/C stopped working a few months ago. I tried waiting it out, but it's too bloody hot out here!

So here's the story behind it. Back in 2004, I had to have the compressor, dryer, all that stuff replaced. It worked on and off, and finally it stopped. Some guy tried, told me I needed a PCM. I bought that, put it in, and it still didn't work. I took it to Goodyear, and they said I was a bit low on freon, and a wire needed repairing, and for the last 4 years or so, it's been working great.

Now, I took it to a shop, and they said I needed everything replaced again, to the tune of about $850. Not worth it for me, so I passed. I took it back to that Goodyear and they said I had no freon, and my compressor wasn't getting any fire. They said it could be the PCM, so I bought one, put it in, and it's still not working.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I don't want to replace the whole system, but if it's something small or simple, I'm up to try.

rhandwor
09-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Look for any spots where their is an oily substance. This indicates you have a leak. Fix the leak vacuum down the system and recharge. They have a pressure switch which shuts off power to the clutch when you don't have a charge. The power to the clutch is shut off when you loose a charge. Years ago every summer they would line up wanting the system charged. Then they found that freon was harmful to the environment.

davidg4781
09-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok, here's an update. I went to San Antonio the other day, about 2 hours away. The A/C would work sometimes, for about 10 min. or so, blowing nice, cold air. Then it would stop, and go back to normal air. I'd turn it off, waited about 30 min, tried it again, and it was cold.

The guy that worked on my A/C said if it's blowing cold at all, that means the system's working and there's nothing wrong with it, so it's probably something electrical. What do y'all think? I didn't want to pay the $850 to get this fixed, but I'm up to $350 already, less anything I can get for my old PCM, or whatever that black box is called.

rhandwor
09-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Check the condenser fan by the radiator. Does it turn on when you turn on the air conditioning system. You also need to check the operating pressures.
Sometimes the switchs don't work properly and need cleaned. Check these items and reply back with what you find.

davidg4781
09-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Just wanted to post an update. My dad's friend is a mechanic...he looked at it, hit the compressor clutch with a stick, and it's been working 99% of the time since then. He said it needs to be either adjusted or replaced, and he might be able to look at it.

I also listed my CCRM on ebay, if anyone's interested. Hopefully it'll sell soon. I lost some money on replacing it, but I'm hoping to get some of that back.

Add your comment to this topic!