Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grand Am Auto-dimming rear view mirror

beamer5084
09-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello,

I have a 99 Grand Am GT and I previously had a 97 Grand Prix GT that had a self dimming rear view mirror in it and I loved it, so I'm wondering if it is possible to replace the one in the GA with one from some other GM car. I noticed the plugs on the back are different but if anybody knows which wires are what it might be possible to use the old wiring with the new harness. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

xeroinfinity
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Welcome to AF.

Yes it is possible , if it only dimms then it wouldnt be to difficult. If it also has a temp or compass then it would require a sensor or two installed.

They do sell a universal rear view mirror like that on ebay not cheap though.

This was something I hav been meaning to do myself, just havnt got to it yet. Thier are several GM cars/trucks with these mirrors that you could pick up at a salvage yard cheap.

beamer5084
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm guessing that it would be just finding what wire does what. Would you have any idea where to start as far as what wire goes to what or where I might be able to find it?

xeroinfinity
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
the wires on the OEM mirror are just power(s) and grounds nothing else.
If you umplug the wire harness by the mirror, you can test the wires to see which is power and ground. ;)

Add your comment to this topic!