Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Dodge 1500 wont start

ricseay
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
MY 99 dodge 1500 will not start in the mornings. It starts fine in the afternoon. I have read in forums that spark plug wires might be bad. Any other ideas.
Also, blower motor is making a terrible noise. How hard is it to replace motor and where is it located. Thanks

angus10
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
It won't start at all in the morning or just takes longer? Depending on the weather where you live, if it's getting real cool at nite and warm in the day, condensation / dew might be in the dist. cap.And or coil wire.

And you can do a search for a Dodge TSB on how to route the wires so they don't touch each other.

ricseay
09-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I am in Texas, and it is not cold here in the mornings. It does not start. Turns over but does not try to start. After work, it starts right up.

creskick
12-22-2008, 06:30 AM
I have a 2002 dodge ram conversion and I had problems with it starting in the mornings also and it ran a little rough even when it did start til it warmed up. Well finally it would start at all even after I replaced the wires cap and plugs which looked fine. Well came to find out the coil was bad even though it looked fine too from under the hood from the underside it was rusted all to heck and the heat sink fins seperated. I replaced it and it's been running great ever since. Hope this helps...:banghead:

recsdc
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
I have a 98 Ram Quad 4x4 and sometimes no matter what the outside temp is it just cranks and cranks but wont fire off. Sometimes it will start after ten minutes but lately if will take days of trying it before it fires up. Any ideas? once it starts for the day it will start all day but never know the next morning. no check engine lite, fuel pump running.....

creskick
01-06-2009, 03:54 AM
Well just because the fuel pump is running, it doesn't mean it's running at the required pressure necessary to start or run.. but that would be my last resort. Check to make sure you're getting spark from the ignition coil to the ditributor. As I posted before, my 2002 did the same thing. Hard start in the mornings but once started was ok for the rest of the day. Til it finally died totally. I changed out the wires and spark plugs and distributor but it still wouldn't start. I thought it might have been the coil wire..but come to find out it was the coil itself. It looked brand new from under the hood but when I got under the van and looked up at it, it was a rusted out piece of crap.

dozindebbie
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Have a '96 1500 5.9 4X4. Died on me a couple of months ago. The tranny relay and speed control servo clicks and it won't start. Have replaced the tranny relay, checked the PDC for burned wires. Have replaced the ignition coil, plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. Also replaced the camshaft and crankshaft position senso. Bought a new battery with high cranking amps and new clamps. Have cleaned the connections to the starter and the alternator. Looked for a diagram following the tranny relay. To no avail can't find one with enough detail. Have done more but would need my list. The fuel pump works sending fuel and pressure to the fuel rail. Ran the codes manually. Only got #12 stating that the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 cranks. Well, hello. It is getting better. Got it to start after replacing the plugs. Ran well enough that it would rock the truck. Then it died on my again and wouldn't start. :banghead: Has ran one other time. Died even sooner this time. Oh yeah, I have a half of tank of gas. Ever get another truck, IT WON'T BE A DODGE! Think we all need a class Keeping a Dodge Running 101. :iagree:

creskick
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok well I'm no Dodge mechanic and I agree with you on this being the last Dodge I'll ever own also. When I had the problem with mine not starting I had went to the auto parts store NAPA and the guy at the desk said there is some kind of sensor on the tranny bellhousing at the top ( don't remember what it's called) but he said if it goes bad the vehicle will not start either and that was his first guess. I got lucky with it being the coil instead. Good luck! Since I last posted my tranny went out totally after whining for a couple weeks and two trans shops not knowing what was wrong. A regular local garage mechanic told me he thought it might be the main output shaft bearing and sure thing he was right. Replaced it and the trans has been ok since.

ctwright
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok well I'm no Dodge mechanic and I agree with you on this being the last Dodge I'll ever own also. When I had the problem with mine not starting I had went to the auto parts store NAPA and the guy at the desk said there is some kind of sensor on the tranny bellhousing at the top ( don't remember what it's called) but he said if it goes bad the vehicle will not start either and that was his first guess. I got lucky with it being the coil instead. Good luck! Since I last posted my tranny went out totally after whining for a couple weeks and two trans shops not knowing what was wrong. A regular local garage mechanic told me he thought it might be the main output shaft bearing and sure thing he was right. Replaced it and the trans has been ok since.

I believe that is where the crankshaft position sensor is located on that vehicle, I think that is where it was located at on a Durango I worked on once. Makes sense anyways because that is the one that would cause a no spark condition.

dozindebbie
04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Not an easy job at all. There is also a speed sensor on the tranny. It only functions when the vehicle is going five mph and over. Have changed out the camshaft position sensor. There are spacers on the motor to keep the plug wires from touching. Around the back of the valve covers they do touch. Will have to figure how to fix this problem. Haven't worked on my truck for a couple of weekends. Have worked on it for a couple of months now. Guess I am burned out and frustrated with not being able to get it running. Have replaced almost everything electrical. Need to get the tester to check the pressure from the fuel pump. Hopefully this is not the problem. Would put it in the shop and lift the bed to replace if that is the problem. Thanks for the ideas though.

Add your comment to this topic!