1998 silverado gas gauge needle vibrates like a hummingbird

dalel20
09-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Any idea why my gas gauge needle flickers back and forth like a hummingbird. Really annoying. Is it a bad dash? When I bought it the dealer sent it in to have the odometer recalibrated cause it was a Canadian truck. I don't trust the gauge anymore so I use the odometer for gas fills. Would really like to have the gauge back!!! 1998 silverado 4wd :crying:

j cAT
09-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Any idea why my gas gauge needle flickers back and forth like a hummingbird. Really annoying. Is it a bad dash? When I bought it the dealer sent it in to have the odometer recalibrated cause it was a Canadian truck. I don't trust the gauge anymore so I use the odometer for gas fills. Would really like to have the gauge back!!! 1998 silverado 4wd :crying:

this vibrating needle is usually the fuel pump ground is loose /rusted remove and clear away rust and secure wire lug to frame rail...next to fuel tank... If this is not the problem it is the dash cluster..

your gas gauge indicator needle may also wonder from full to empty this is the fuel sender that is part of the fuel pump that has developed a film on the sender pick up...welcome to the club...try to use techron or a little marvel mystry oil to the fuel ,,to clear away some of the build up.. for a while..

dalel20
09-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Do I have to drop the tank to reground that wire or is it off to the side? Thanks

j cAT
09-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Do I have to drop the tank to reground that wire or is it off to the side? Thanks

this vibrating needle is usually the fuel (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/#) pump ground is loose /rusted remove and clear away rust and secure wire lug to frame rail...next to fuel tank... If this is not the problem it is the dash cluster..

ground point is on frame rail driver side next to fuel tank.....no tank removal... its along the side away from tank..

if this does not correct the problem the dash cluster is next. since this was messed with because of the odometer, you may be looking at this ,as the componet that is bad..

Add your comment to this topic!