Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bad wheel bearing hub or bad CV joint 01 LeSabre

Hark
09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Mother-in-law's 01 Buick LeSabre with 88,000 miles - How do you check for bad wheel bearing or inner & outer half shafts (CV joints)? The car makes clicking sound when driving, the faster you go the faster the clicking. Not sure what side it's coming from. She took it to car shop and he said probably bad bearing. Quitting time, so he didn't have time to really look it over - Wants her to bring it back next week to test and put it on a lift - said it would cost her $200 for labor and $200 for bearing. Trying to save her a few bucks so would like to fix it myself, but I don't know how to check whether it's a bad bearing or half shaft. I can get the bearing at Autozone for $89 - one has a metal clip and one has plastic clip - what's the difference? Can I use the one with the metal clip if the one on the car now has the plastic clip? Any help appreciated.

polarzak
09-04-2008, 06:22 AM
I don't remember a clicking noise when my 00 hub bearing went, but I have heard clicking is a sign of CV problem. My bearing just started to whine one day and the sound got faster and louder over the next few days, ending up as a grinding sound. It was pretty easy to tell which side was shot.

Can you put the front end up and put the car in drive? That way you could listen closely and find which side the noise is coming from. Just an internet guess (not hearing the noise) I think the hub bearings are fine, but your CV sounds suspect. Good Luck.

GringoPete
09-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Like the poster above stated.....worn bearings is usually spotted by a grinding noise and not clicking. Also, $200 in labor for changing a wheel bearing is on the steep side. I personally would get a second opinion before making another move. Get another mechanic while you're at it. :2cents:

Best of luck :smile:

imidazol97
09-05-2008, 08:08 AM
A regular clicking could be CV joint or could be something stone or metal in a tire hitting the road. What's the frequency of the click? Once per tire rotation? Multiple clicks per wheel rotation? Does it vary with engine speed?

As for the wheel bearing. A suggestion is don't go with the cheapest. Most are imported now. Several people have had failures with Autozone's cheapest they put on. I see that Autozone now offers a Timken bearing for slightly more--I have a loosening bearing on a 98 leSabre so I too have been shopping. The Timken may be made in China but they note it has hardened steel or something like that.

To test for wheel bearing, lift car on jack. Gently try to move tire in and out at 9 and 3 o-clock. Note how much movement. Then repeat at 12 and 6 o-clock. Try pushing in and out perpendicular to the wheel axis. If movement at 12/6 and 9/3 both seem to be there, that is probably wheel bearing movement. Mine has about 3/32 inch.

To help with pricing, the Timken bearing at Autozone is $119, a little more than the current bearing they have for a 98. I suspect they improved their bearings from a year ago when a lot of people are reporting having to claim under warranty or out-of-warranty for replacements.

Autozone will sell you the proper hub bearing deep socket along with a slide impact device to pull the hub off the spindle if it doesn't want to come and then they will take those in return for a refund. In other words they'll loan the tools. I believe your car has regular bolts on the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the spindle; mine has a T-55 torx fitting. It may require a longer socket handle to break loose. Need a torque wrench to tighten the new one. I notice the OReilly Auto National brand comes with 3 bolts to replace the originals.

If you have done calipers and rotor replacement this is one step beyond that.

BNaylor
09-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I would not speculate on axle nut torque which also preloads the wheel bearing. Best to see what the specs are for this year LeSabre either in the respective FSM or what the hub maker specifies. Some aftermarket brands like SKS use the GM specs. Improper axle nut torque or installation is the main reason for premature hub failure. The GM specs in the FSM are for GM/Delco hubs but with a new axle nut. If Delco hubs are used they will come with 3 new hub to spindle bolts and a new axle nut. Most aftermarket hubs like the BCA National do not come with either just the hub with wheel sensor. If you are in the U.S. you can get AC Delco hubs for around $150.

Sweepspear
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
One test for a bad CV joint is to find a parking lot and turn the wheels full in either direction and drive in a circle.
If they are worn you will here clicking even if they don't click otherwise.
Everytime I have test driven a FWD car before buying I do this.

I would not speculate on axle nut torque which also preloads the wheel bearing. Best to see what the specs are for this year LeSabre either in the respective FSM or what the hub maker specifies. Some aftermarket brands like SKS use the GM specs. Improper axle nut torque or installation is the main reason for premature hub failure. The GM specs in the FSM are for GM/Delco hubs but with a new axle nut. If Delco hubs are used they will come with 3 new hub to spindle bolts and a new axle nut. Most aftermarket hubs like the BCA National do not come with either just the hub with wheel sensor. If you are in the U.S. you can get AC Delco hubs for around $150.

I wonder if this is why the hub I replaced on the driver's side is already growling a bit within about 5,000 miles?
The one I replaced on the passenger side a few years ago is still good, but I will be replacing this driver's side for the second time now.
I went by the torque listed in the GM service manual, I mean, why would I think it should be any different?
(I think it's 120 ft lbs.?)
Both sides were replaced with BCA National products, which I know aren't top shelf parts.
The saying "Cheap is expensive" holds true in the case of these hubs. :nono:

Hark
09-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Update on the problem - the clicking noise within a week turned into the growling noise that gave it away as a wheel bearing - was able to pin point what side it was coming from. It was easy to repair with the advice from this forum - only took about 2 hours for a first timer. Yes - if you can do a brake job you can replace a bearing & hub. Since the part only cost $89 - saved mother-in-law $300 bucks at the shop.:smile:

Thanks again for replies.

smackerquacker
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I have an 02 LeSabre that is making what I would call a humming sound down the highway, has gotten slightly louder over the last week. I am thinking wheel bearing, 96000 miles on it. Not a screeching or clicking sound but a hum. Maybe I will jack it up tomorrow and listen better.

Add your comment to this topic!