Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 sentra problems

sajohnston
08-31-2008, 05:29 PM
I recently had my valve cover gasket replaced because of an oil leak. The mechanic said that my car would burn off the old stuff that had built up and that the car might emit a white smoke. The car is going through two quarts of oil every other day at least. The car emits a plume of white smoke after starting it after any time when the it has been sitting (such as overnight). The car also does this after stopping at stop signs/traffic lights although not as heavy. The car also emits a large plume of white smoke after idling with the ignition running. This also happens to a lesser extent when accelerating to pass someone. The mechanic now says that my cylinder head gasket should be taken to a machine shop to have new valves.

I also had a tune-up during which I had two spark plugs replaced, distributor cap and wires replaced, and the rotary ignition button replaced. My car is now shaking at times when driving. This shaking can be so bad that I feel like my car is about to fall apart. This happens every so often. My car is also having problems going from first gear to second. Sometimes it is normal, other times it jumps into second gear, and then other times I feel a resistance and then it either jumps or very slowly changes gears. None of this was happening before the tune-up.

Does anyone know what could be causing any of the problems?

nismo_pilot
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
this is either a really funny joke or you need a lot of help

sajohnston
09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
this is either a really funny joke or you need a lot of help

Oh yeah, I'm just posting jokes here. Thanks for giving me such a nice answer. :shakehead

nismo_pilot
09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
you need to change all of your plugs at the same time, im betting your mechanic fubared your car to get some more money out of you, perform a compression tests to see if your headgasket is blown. If it is bad dont take it back to your old mechanic, take it somewhere else and have them send the bill back to the other mechanic

RaeRae1
09-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree with Nismo - DO NOT go back to that mechanic.

Sounds like a scam or something. I can't imagine anything one mechanic could fix that would backfire that badly. Sounds like the valve cover gasket was definitely done incorrectly. If you are going through that much oil there is a problem. Just "burning off" would not actually consist of burning new oil. And I can't understand why any mechanic would only replace 2 spark plugs.... Take it somewhere else.

sajohnston
09-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm thinking the same as all of you. My fiance spoke to someone's dad who used to be a mechanic and he thinks the same thing - I was ripped off so I would spend more money. I'm so angry right now at that mechanic. :chair:
My uncle is actually going to look at it for me this Saturday. He is actually a mechanic but just doesn't have his own place. He is leaning towards the head gasket needing to be replaced. I should have asked him about the first oil leak I was experiecing instead of taking my car to that ass.
This other mechanic told me that he could replace the head gasket for $1000 but I just do not trust him anymore. But like I'm going to take my car to someone where it runs worse when I get it back. I can guarantee that I will never visit that place again.

inafogg
09-03-2008, 12:07 PM
what was the reason for taking it in, just an oil leak???if so how did we get into a partial tune up???head gasket is'nt the problem it maybe valve seals piston rings.i'd agree with comp test wet & dry.pull v cover make sure drain holes in head are'nt clogged.Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!