92 RS Camaro will not crank over

mannasugar
08-30-2008, 09:16 PM
92 RS Camaro , 305, TBI, automatic
Car will not start, jump the car at the starter and it cranks over, I have replaced the ignition switch, I have replaced the gear selector switch, I have tested the security chip in the key and it test good, I need to know how to test the key cylinder. Sometimes the car will start, sometimes it will not. I can only work on the car when it is not starting. I drove the car all last week. Then on Friday it would not start. It has not started since. I have had the car for 3 months and it seems to start when it wants to. Is it possible to hot wire a car with a chip in the key? How do I test a fusible link?

Morley
08-31-2008, 05:27 AM
I have tested the security chip in the key and it test good, I need to know how to test the key cylinder. Sometimes the car will start, sometimes it will not. How do I test a fusible link?
When it won't crank over is the security light on? If it is then the "reader" in the lock cylinder is probably having a hard time reading the chip on the key. And that is the best "test" for the cylinder, put in a known good key/chip and see if the security light goes out.
To test a fuseable link properly you'd need a megger, unfortunately these aren't readily avialable (used extensively in the aviation repair industry). A megger puts current through a wire and checks "leakage" or voltage drop at the other end. This would let you know if there is a partial break or other internal problem with the wiring.

mannasugar
09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
When I turn the key to the run position all of the lights are on; Service engine soon, INFL REST, Security, brake, and Seat belt. All of the lights stay on except the Security light which goes off after a couple of seconds. This happens simultaneously while the car will not start. I drove the car yesterday to the supermarket and I was stranded for about 30 minutes and then the car started. I checked the OBD codes and got the following results; #23, Intake air temp sensor error(low temp indicated) #53 System voltage too high and #54 Fuel pump circuit low voltage. I am concerned with ;
#53 High voltage at battery OR High voltage at exhaust gas recirculation valve OR Voltage reference error OR Problem at vehicle anti-theft system.
How do I test Anti-theft system and repair the problem? I am familiar with the PASS KEY DECODER MODULE and its location.
When I drove home from the supermarket the car would not stay running, as if the idle was too low, it would die on corners where I was not giving the car gas. This would be #54 (I believe) How do I test this and repair the problem?

Morley
09-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Code 54 can be bad fuel pump relay/wiring, and/or bad oil pressure switch/ wiring.
The relay and switch are pretty cheap, but first check the connections to them.
For the code 53 (VATS) check here http://72.19.213.157/files/VATSSystem.html
It sounds like the VATS module is not seeing the correct resistance after the engine is started.

Add your comment to this topic!