Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 G/A Stalls When Hot

Lonewlf455
08-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum here. Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue with my Grand Am. Just bought it for my daughter. It's a 1995 Grand Am GT. 3.1 V-6 auto. It has 153,000 miles on it. When the engine is warm/hot, I put it into drive and it stalls. Won't stay running in Drive, however, it stays running in reverse? When the engine is cold it runs and drives UNTIL it warms up. I've replaced the TPS and it has no effect on problem. Something else if this has anything to do with it or not but when I revved it up to keep it running, the tach went up to 4000 and the engine started "missing" almost like it had a rev limiter on it. Thanks for any ideas in advance.........Ray

J-Ri
09-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi. I'm new to the forum here. Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue with my Grand Am. Just bought it for my daughter. It's a 1995 Grand Am GT. 3.1 V-6 auto. It has 153,000 miles on it. When the engine is warm/hot, I put it into drive and it stalls. Won't stay running in Drive, however, it stays running in reverse? When the engine is cold it runs and drives UNTIL it warms up. I've replaced the TPS and it has no effect on problem. Something else if this has anything to do with it or not but when I revved it up to keep it running, the tach went up to 4000 and the engine started "missing" almost like it had a rev limiter on it. Thanks for any ideas in advance.........Ray

Check the air intake hose for cracks past the MAF sensor. The engine rocks different ways in drive and reverse, so reverse may be sealing the crack and drive may be pulling it open.

There is a rev limiter on them, and in park/neutral it is set around 4k RPM.

Lonewlf455
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Thank you for the reply. I will check on it tomorrow and let you know what I find. This car is being a challenge. LOL

xeroinfinity
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Welcome to AF Lonewlf455.

Sounds like you have a Torque Converter Clutch TCC going out, its located in your trans. This link has some helpful info and the replacement procedures. :thumbsup:
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/aa011703b.htm

Hope that helps!

The_Mechanic_33
09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
yes there is a rev limiter. also check fuel pressure.

Lonewlf455
09-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks!! I checked the intake air hose and it is fine, no tears or holes. Sealed up as well. I was doing some reading and I came up with the TCC as well. Going to delve in it soon. Thanks for the responses everyone. It helps a lot.......Ray

Add your comment to this topic!