Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

paint strippin question

steelman
03-13-2003, 07:41 AM
Hey i have a few older models that i'd liek to repaint one of them is a Viper GTS revell kit
I picked up some CFC and i took the body off the chisi to duck it is but i noticed that the front windshield is glued on to the outsideand the headlights are glues on too
now i'm not sure i want to take it off cause it's glued pretty good and i don't wanna break it
So is there any problem wit putting it in the CFC wit the body will the CFC make it come out easier
Or should i try pryin the windshield and headlights off??

Thanks

k_dog
03-13-2003, 07:52 AM
No..it'll eat like crazy at your window and headlights...learned this the hard way.
Brian

steelman
03-13-2003, 07:57 AM
alrighty then
that won't be happening then
i actually just got the windshield off that time
but the headlights and taillights are goint ot be a problem cause when i put em in i didn't slack on the glue
any ideas
i don't want too arse up a prefectly good model

fullbloodchop01
03-13-2003, 08:25 AM
i heard something about putting the model in a plastic tupperware tub, and putting it into the frezzer for a few minutes, and that the glue will be easy to come off, but dont try until soeone else says this weould work

k_dog
03-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by fullbloodchop01
i heard something about putting the model in a plastic tupperware tub, and putting it into the frezzer for a few minutes, and that the glue will be easy to come off, but dont try until soeone else says this weould work

Very true....freezing the model causes the glue to become very brittle...in essence...it can be removed easier.
Brian

freakray
03-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by k_dog

Very true....freezing the model causes the glue to become very brittle...in essence...it can be removed easier.
Brian

It helps if you run the model under water too before placing it in the freezer, this way as the water freezes, it will open the gaps in the joints and force the glue apart.

Note, you just need to wet the model, don't put it in the freezer completely submerged.

Ray

k_dog
03-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by freakray
Note, you just need to wet the model, don't put it in the freezer completely submerged.

Ray

Wouldnt that defeat the entire purpose of owning that model??:p Because if you put it in submerged...It'll freeze in ice??? In essence making a very large model car ice cube...lol
Brian

freakray
03-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by steelman
Hey i have a few older models that i'd liek to repaint one of them is a Viper GTS revell kit
I picked up some CFC and i took the body off the chisi to duck it is but i noticed that the front windshield is glued on to the outsideand the headlights are glues on too
now i'm not sure i want to take it off cause it's glued pretty good and i don't wanna break it
So is there any problem wit putting it in the CFC wit the body will the CFC make it come out easier
Or should i try pryin the windshield and headlights off??

Thanks

After actually reading the whole question, I realised you were wanting to strip the paint too.....:D
The only CFC I know of is the propellant gas, so I would assume you are referring to CSC, which is Castrol Super Clean.

I have left clear parts in CSC without a problem, I dropped a whole body in CSC with windows and all glued in place, when I came back in a couple of days, all the paint was stripped, including the paint around the windows for the trim, and the CSC had dissolved the glue, but not harmed the clear parts at all.
That was an R-M kit too.....

If you are worried about the CSC damaging the clear parts, get a piece of scrap from the parts tree and put that in the CSC to see how it reacts, it probably won't though.

Ray

steelman
03-13-2003, 11:48 AM
yeah i meant CSC
i'm dumb like rocks
man that stuff is cheap as dirt

I have 3 models to strip
NEVER leave yer models on yer window ledge fer like 4 years the
#1 the paint is all bubbley and faded
#2 kids can get at em and knock em down and break off the mirrors and lose them

I got a viper now wit no mirrors
a covette wit one mirror and a stingray wit one mirror
errrr:devil:

integra818
03-13-2003, 12:59 PM
I use dot3 brake fluid, it strips the paint off very well and does'nt damage the clear parts, acctually, it might even make the headlights come off because it makes the glue weak, but don't try to force any parts off, I ruined a car this way. Put it in the brake fluid for about 3 or more days, the more days the better, but be carefull, if you put it in for too long, it can make the primer underneath turn into stiff bubbles.

Diesel2NR
03-13-2003, 03:32 PM
I've left clear parts in CSC before to remove paint, and after coming back to get them, they were no longer there...I'd say they dissolved, and yes, they were from a Revell kit.

Add your comment to this topic!