Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with Dangerous Bent Running Bar

TheDruid
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi guys, I accidentally bent one of my running bars back on my 95 Trooper. So right now the running bar is pressed up against the back tier and rubbs firmly against it, this causes a few problems, it squeaks and resonates when I drive, it may heat up while driving and burst into flame, it may unevenly wear down my new tire, It may cause an accident, it may do some other things too I dont know. basically there are two steel connectors that branch off of the running bar and are each bolted with 2 bolts (so a total of 4 bolts) to an opposing set of connectors which I'm assuming are somehow attached to the frame. So both sets of connectors are bent, both the ones on the frame and the ones on the running bar. I am assuming that I can unscrew these slightly rusted bolts and then take off the running bar and use a mallet to hammer its 2 connectors flat and then get under the car and hammer the 2 that are connected to the frame. My question is, is this the right way to approach it (please keep in mind that I'm very poor and cant afford to go to a shop and pay them $100 or more to reshape these things. Can this work? will my idea of hammering it out be able to straighten these connectors (roughly a half centimeter thick and 2.5 inches wide), will I need to heat it and if so could I use a standard hand torch? is this something that only professional metal workers or frame people can handle? Your advice and experience will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!