Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car dies when on idle in the morning.

wishstar99
08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

i am having a problem with my Nissan Sentra. Every morning when I start my car to warm up, the engine runs for about 30seconds to 1 minutes then the car dies. Sometimes when I wait at the intersection for the green light, my car dies.

Last night I changed the Fuel Filter and 4 brand new spark plugs and dumped in 1 bottle of Injector Cleaner into the gas tank. I also cleaned up the air filter. Later today I will change a new air filter.

I don't know what else I can do to find the problem. The alternator is brand new from last year.

anyone has an idea what might be wrong or what else i can check? Thank you!!!

And the "Service Soon" light is on as well. A few years back when the Service light was on, I changed the oil filter and oil, then it went away, but it doesn't do it this time. LOL

Thank you again ...

RaeRae1
08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I would wait and see what the injector cleaner does. Have you noticed ANY difference with the new plugs and filter?

JudoJohn
08-29-2008, 03:45 PM
go to Autozone or someplace like that and get the codes read. the SES light means that a code was thrown. it should give you a guide to what is wrong. Could be a simple sensor.

Let us know what it is.

wishstar99
08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
hmmm
this morning when i started the engine, it dies again. Nothing is different so far. The engine light is still on.

I agree. I need to wait and see after the fuel tank is empty.

Thank you for the information. I will visit Autozone and ask them about the code.

Thanks =) :tongue:

slideways...
08-30-2008, 03:50 AM
probably a coolant temp sensor or something.

nismo_pilot
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
or crank sensor... happy happy, joy joy

wishstar99
09-02-2008, 11:13 AM
:crying:

my car didn't die this morning when i warmed it up; sunday morning when i drove my puppy to the vet, when i backed out from the parking lot and put my car into D, the car died on me three times. :banghead:

the gas tank is at 1/4 left. after this week if it still dies, then i will give it to the repair shop ...

thank you all

wishstar99
09-06-2008, 04:54 PM
hi guys,

so i brought my car to the shop earlier this morning, and the guy put a cable inside my car for awhile and he gave me a report saying that the "idle control system malfunction"

he also said that it's okay to drive, and told me to get it fix the next time i get my smoke check, which is a year from now. he said it will cost around 200+ to fix it.

i don't know what "idle control system malfunction" is. is it possible for me to buy and replace it myself? or does it require special tools? if it's possible for a normal person like to me fix it then i will do it.

please help!!! also, i don't know where the idle control system is =(

thank you

JudoJohn
09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
sounds like you need a manual for your car. have Autozone test it for you and see what they say. they might be able to give you better answers. you might just need an idle re-learn.

toolmantim
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
does your car have calif emissions? if so, it could be your air/fuel ratio sensor. its easy to change but its EXPENSIVE!!!

Add your comment to this topic!