Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radiator leak

dbzfan112287
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I just repalced the radiator in my car. When they replaced the battery the mechanic also did a cooling system flush and replaced the coolant. The overflow tank says full. Two weeks later, the tank says low. I don't think the coolant should drain that quickly so I probably have a leak. How can I check for a leak? And since this is so soon after the mechanic replaced the radiator could he be held liable to fix this problem at no additional charge?

RIP
08-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Have you been regularly checking the coolant level during the two weeks since it was changed or was this the first time since the change? The reason I ask is many times after changing coolant it can take several days for the level to stabilise due to air pockets throughout the system. The level you are seeing may be where it finally settled a couple days after the change. You may just need to add coolant.

If that's not the case then I would high tale it back to the rad shop and state your case. Yes, they should fix it under warranty. To check for leaks check the frame below the radiator and at the radiator hose connections for wetness. Look for any puddles/droplets on the pavement under the car while it's running and after it has sat off for a while. If you have to park on an unpaved spot, slide cardboard under the car to catch any liquids. Coolant can either be a light green/yellow or red/orange.

somick
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Have you been regularly checking the coolant level during the two weeks since it was changed or was this the first time since the change? The reason I ask is many times after changing coolant it can take several days for the level to stabilise due to air pockets throughout the system. The level you are seeing may be where it finally settled a couple days after the change. You may just need to add coolant.

If that's not the case then I would high tale it back to the rad shop and state your case. Yes, they should fix it under warranty. To check for leaks check the frame below the radiator and at the radiator hose connections for wetness. Look for any puddles/droplets on the pavement under the car while it's running and after it has sat off for a while. If you have to park on an unpaved spot, slide cardboard under the car to catch any liquids. Coolant can either be a light green/yellow or red/orange.
What RIP said...

Plus watch your exhaust smoke: if it is white it could be your head gasket.

Sam

4Wheel
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Hopefully your level has just taken time to settle.
Unfortunately with head gaskets any problems that were solved by using a high grade additive, (stop leak), can be "washed" out of place by back flushing.
A compromised head gasket can "consume" coolant with out leaving a trace or "white smoke" (steam) out the exhaust. Some steam in the morning or fresh start is normal, it comes form condensation inside the exhaust system.
There is a test, but it is expensive, to test for hydrocarbons in the coolant that would source from the combustion chamber.

I JUST replaced head gaskets on a car that had the "consumption" issue, they said it then started to over heat after a long time of "loosing" coolant.
This all started immediately after they had it back flushed.

dbzfan112287
09-03-2008, 01:44 AM
I do not know if the problem with the radiator leak is gone yet. I have been observing the overflow tank level and it has not gone down. But I have not been driving around much these days since the car is having another problem which I made another thread to ask about "Unknown Weird Problem."

Add your comment to this topic!