Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Wiper Motor

robbyaube2
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi,

Is it common that the motor for the rear wiper goes? Issue is that if I hit the back wiper button, the wiper will sometimes start but then get stuck either half way or will go all the way and not return. It almost appears that the motor has lost its force...

Could be dirt as well I guess but wondering if this is something someone else has had.

Thanks,
Robby

base1hits
08-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Lot of miles on this Venture? I would suggest you check the spline connection between the wiper arm and the motor. It sounds like this could be worn or stripped. The motor may work but the wiper arm is slipping on the spline.

'97ventureowner
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Lot of miles on this Venture? I would suggest you check the spline connection between the wiper arm and the motor. It sounds like this could be worn or stripped. The motor may work but the wiper arm is slipping on the spline.
This is especially true if you live in an area where there is a lot of ice and snow in the winter. Many people get in their vehicles and hit the rear wiper button to clear the back window without further checking to see if the wiper is frozen to the window or if there is a heavy layer of ice and/or snow on the arm making it harder to sweep across the glass.

robbyaube2
08-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Mileage is around 170K. When it gets stuck, if I try to push it back into place (without forcing too hard) it won't let me so it appears that the wiper still attaches to the motor as it should. I have to hit the switch and help it down... does that give any extra indications? As for the spline, is that the stub that the wiper mount/Arm attaches to?

bigcoconut
08-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like the spline shaft is OK. Yes, it is the part that sticks out of the door metal and the wiper arm attaches to. It sounds more like the motor, or the connection to the motor. I've never actually done this, but you're going to have to pull the door/hatch panel off the inside of the hatch. Check the wiring connections to the motor for corrosion.

robbyaube2
08-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Ok so that's all I have to do to gain access to the motor, remove the inside panel from the hatch? Does it only have these plastic holders that hold when you push in? If so i've had a bad experience with them in not holding anymore when removed,,, hopefully that wont happen with those ones..

thanks for the tip!

bigcoconut
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I've not pulled the hatch one off, but the other side ones in the back have come off and for the most part the little plastic doo-hickey's stay together. If not you can get a package of those things at any parts for a couple bucks.

I'd have to check my maintenance manual tonight to make sure, but I don't think there is anything else, besides door framework, to get in your way.

rdh2
09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi,

Is it common that the motor for the rear wiper goes? Issue is that if I hit the back wiper button, the wiper will sometimes start but then get stuck either half way or will go all the way and not return. It almost appears that the motor has lost its force...

Could be dirt as well I guess but wondering if this is something someone else has had.

Thanks,
Robby

This is a very common problem. There are plastic gears in the wiper motor that end up stripped over time. The only fix is to replace the motor. The hatch panel is held on with the plastic retainers. The motor is very easy to change out. It should take less than 30 minutes.

bigcoconut
09-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks rdh2 for the reply to Robby, you are right... I got side tracked with brakes on my sons truck Saturday and the whole Hurricane prep thing this weekend, which was for nothin, Gustave went completely around us down here.

Add your comment to this topic!