Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Tahoe-headlights dont work

ELOrocks17
08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I took it into the shop to replace the headlights. After charging me $30 per bulb, The mechanic proceeded to tell me a bizarre story as to why my headlights dont work. He said something to the effect that the reason they dont work is because my steering wheel is not tilted all the way down, and that the only way they will work is to drive with the steering wheel digging into my kneecaps. He also said that clicking on the "Highbeams" will stop the lights from working. He recommended I spend $500 for a part, (+ 1 hour labor)
to fix this problem (He said it installs in the steering collumn i think). Please help.

roadrunner2
08-27-2008, 10:00 PM
That guy needs to take $500 of his own money and invest in a shrink. (maybe that's why he wanted $500 to fix your wallet)

Go to a different shop/tech.

Were you able to watch when he replaced the bulbs? If he handled the bulb glass with bare fingers while replacing the bulb, the life of the bulb will be shortened.
Check fuses first. In cabin and under hood.

Try and find a reputable independent shop. (preferrably one where the owner owns the land the shop sits on)
This fact makes him somewhat more honest and reliable.
Ask friends, family, co-workers fo a referral.

ELOrocks17
08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
He did say that it is the turn signal switch that needs to be replaced...how much does one of those things cost anyway?

roadrunner2
08-29-2008, 03:38 PM
He did say that it is the turn signal switch that needs to be replaced...how much does one of those things cost anyway?

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, but he could have just replaced one bulb to test the circuit to find it still didn't work, but anyway..

I think he was referring to the signal turn stalk (lever) on the steering column that also acts as a hi/lo headlight switch. (Also known as a multi-function switch)

If you go back to him, ask him to test the multi-function switch (under the dash) before opening up the steering column.

The fault may be due to dirty electrical connections where a simple spray of electrical contact cleaner may do the job.

roadrunner2
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart a**, but he could have just replaced one bulb to test the circuit to find it still didn't work, but anyway..

I think he was referring to the signal turn stalk (lever) on the steering column that also acts as a hi/lo headlight switch. (Also known as a multi-function switch)

If you go back to him, ask him to test the multi-function switch (under the dash) before opening up the steering column.

The fault may be due to dirty electrical connections where a simple spray of electrical contact cleaner may do the job.
Cost? I don't know.

ELOrocks17
08-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Well the mechanic did say originally that it should work if the tilt on the steering wheel was all the way in the down position, of course it didnt work once i left the shop...

777stickman
08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Really not sure what you want us to do to help? You took it to a shop that was "out of line" IMHO. Take it to a shop that can be trusted to diagnose your headlight problem the right way and don't say anything to them about the previous shop visit.

Lots of items in the system: Light switch, multi-function switch, fuses, wiring, relays, etc, etc.

By the way, is your '99 Tahoe an old body style or a new body style?

ELOrocks17
09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Really not sure what you want us to do to help? You took it to a shop that was "out of line" IMHO. Take it to a shop that can be trusted to diagnose your headlight problem the right way and don't say anything to them about the previous shop visit.

Lots of items in the system: Light switch, multi-function switch, fuses, wiring, relays, etc, etc.

By the way, is your '99 Tahoe an old body style or a new body style?

Old body style...BTW the fuse for the HL was replaced and i rechecked to make sure it wasnt blown. it wasnt

777stickman
09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
When you say the HL fuse is good I assume you mean the "Lighting fuse" in the underhood fuse block. Fuse #8 50a.

'99 OBS has a DRL system that uses the low beam lamps. Do they work ok?

Are both the low beams and high beams inop when the light sw is turned on?

Do you have any electrical tools and/or skills for trouble shooting if I gave you some things to check?

Add your comment to this topic!