Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Conti. Use "Panic", car wont start

Howster7
08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I am trying to help out an elderly guy that works at a barber shop I go to. He told me that his 1996 Continental wont start after using "panic" siren on his remote keyless entry fob. Of course, this is after he turns off the "panic" siren. He tried "lock/unlock" on the fob, then tried to start = no start. His regular mechanic had it 2 days, couldn't fix it. Towed it to stealership. Luckily, the tow truck driver was nice & was able to do something to get it started. However, he wouldn't tell because it looks like the tow truck driver is taking money from the stealership, so he just told the old guy that it started with no problem & winked. *I personally think that lock/unlock driver door w/main key could fix issue, when it happens, but I don't want to "practice" my theory in case I'm wrong. I would feel terrible if I couldn't get it started. The guy is so worried about his car not starting & not having any wheels, that he is considering get rid of the car. Any ideas??

Towncar
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Not sure I'm following this correctly.. you seem to be saying it's now fixed but the old guy is worried about re-occurrence ??

Howster7
08-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, the car works, but he doesn't know exactly what worked last time or why it started again. Therefore, he doesn't want to ever hit the "panic" button again. If he does accidently hit it, he is worried that he will be stranded again w/ a car that doesn't start. He was told by someone to open the door & hit unlock 2x then start the car. He tried it, but it didn't work. He kept trying & eventually it started again. He said he opened the door, hit "unlock" 2x w/ door open & waited 10 min. then it started, but he doesn't know if that is what really worked, because he did it multiple times prior w/ no success. Besides, why should you have to wait 10 minutes? I personally would like to try using the key to "unlock" (or lock, then unlock) the drivers door & see if that works, while the issue is occuring. But if that doesn't work, what then? The guy had a car that worked before I came over.

Towncar
08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
There is no procedure that I can find.. you're welcome to look for yourself in his Owners Manual, and his Service Manual. I would be concerned if there was an aftermarket system added (maybe remote starter), this may need to be restored to original to diagnose properly.

1996 Continental Owners Manual (http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link=002&urlfile=/pubs/content/~WOTCON/~MUS~LEN/41/96conog1e.pdf) Page 105 (pdf 108), see notes on Page 109 (pdf 112)
Ford Service Manuals (http://www24.brinkster.com/sdhartney/linc/linc.htm)

Howster7
09-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate the advice that I received & all the info on this site. This site is wonderfull. -Howie

Add your comment to this topic!