Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

All Electronics broken!!! Help

neoncorey
08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
2003 Cadillac CTS w/ NAV - just bought a few months ago.

Ok so here is the scoop. I had a local shop change my engine because of the #6 piston fried. It was all authorized thru the GM Protection Plan warranty and even though this took forever (3 weeks); engine wise was running fine when i got it back. Well then I drove the car back that night and everyday since then I have a bunch of electronic problems.

-The doors will lock and unlock repeatedly by themselves
-The traction control will turn off
-The Theft deterrent system will be tripped
-1 touch power up windows occasionally will not work
-The AC compressor will stop working (fan still blows)
-The temp gauge and fuel gauge will drop to 0.
-sometimes the key will get locked in the ignition and the engine will not start (probably due to the theft deterrent system tripping)
-the car always hinders when it is about to turn over

The shop then blamed this on my battery, so they changed it out ($140) and I asked them to keep my battery in my trunk. I then made it about 7 miles from the shop and everything started happening again. I then tested the battery at a local Auto Parts store and my battery tested fine.

Now the shop is telling me that they tracked down the issue and it is the "ignition lock cylinder case", which they have now ordered. My question is I don't know if this would hinder the operation of all of these electronic components? I can understand if the theft deterrent system was not getting the correct voltage or power then it would falsely tell the ignition cylinder lock to activate. But why would this "ignition lock cylinder case" control all of these components?

Is this guy throwing parts at the vehicle or does anyone know if he is correct with his diagnosis???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am personally thinking there is a loose ground or a pinched wire/wiring harness somewhere. Thanks!

whitlow2002
08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
I am having the same problem. I have a 2004 cts. I recently had the engine replaced. Now my theft light came on, traction control light, and gauges and locks go crazy. As of today I cannot get my car to start. It has also locked the key in the ignition. Is there any help? What can I try? I would at least like to get it started to get it to a shop.

neoncorey
09-03-2009, 11:18 PM
It after multiple BS returns, with the repair shop. (replaced battery, grounds and others) ended up being the ignition. They had to replace the key ignition. It supposedly was from the weight of the keys that wears it out. Regardless the fact that I only had 1 key and a caribiner on the key ring. And since everything goes thru this module for the cars ignition.... it caused all of the random issues. I don't doubt this aspect. But I guarantee it was because they were not a caddie shop and did not properly discharge the battery and power, since just unhooking the battery is not enough............. You have to unhook the battery and then press the brake for 30 secs or so to discharge all power from components, only learned myself after. Serves me right for using a warranty instead of just fixing myself like usual.

All in all they replaced this part....perhaps I can look the part number up when I get home as I am stuck in Bolzano, Italy on a business trip right now. It is working some what as it should. I say this cause I still randomly get stupid electronic issues but no where near the amount I did in the past. The car is gone this fall hopefully.

Perhaps I will update this with more details once I get back to the states and have more time. I am sorry.

whitlow2002
09-06-2009, 10:59 PM
If you dont mind, may I ask how much it costs to get the key ignition replaced?

Add your comment to this topic!