Wheel Spacers

08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi I own a '64 Typhoon (770) in the UK and have just noticed my tyres are rubbing on the lower ball joints, I guess due to Radials being wider than the original cross plys?:dunno:
Has anyone else had this and is there a spacer I can buy or do I need to make some?
Cheers Johnny.

09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
lucky man, rare car. You can get wheel spacers in several sizes. They are at most auto parts stores. If you can't find them there try the Autozone web site.

09-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I think your rims are incorrect.

Every car made in North America had rims that extended below the ball joint. This was the law, so that if the tire went flat or peeled off the rim, the rim would touch the pavement instead of a chassis part.

If your tires are rubbing on the lower ball joint, your rims are too small in diameter and constitute a hazard and should make the car fail an inspection (assuming the inspector knew what to look for. )
Spacers themselves would not fix this problem.

What size are the rims; and can you post a picture?

Add your comment to this topic!